Thursday, December 15, 2011

THURSDAY'S TREASURE with guest writer PATTY WYSONG

More Than Potpourri
written by
Patty Wysong 





My teenage son walked in the door and asked what smelled so good. Knowing this child of mine, I told him his sister had made a birthday cake, thinking that would make him lick his chops, but his response surprised me. “Oh. I thought I smelled something fruity, maybe peachy.” He was less then happy when I told him that was just the liquid potpourri and there were no peaches in the house, let alone in the oven.


I rather smugly thought to myself, “Yes! Mission accomplished. It no longer smells like a closed up house with a hint of his smelly socks.” When I glanced at his face I saw a different message, it said, “All smell and no substance stinks!”


Sometimes I get so caught up in the smell good part that I don't even think about substance. But that's the most important part of the equation. I want to be more than just a pleasing aroma—more than just potpourri. I want to make sure I have a pie sitting on the counter ready to serve to my family and friends—anyone that comes to my door and into my life.


Life is about more than just knowing the right words to say, doing the right things at the right time, wearing the right clothing for the occasion. It's about walking the talk. Living out what I say I believe. It's about having more than a smoke screen to hold on to when the going gets rough, and more than just meaningless platitudes when my friends need a lifeline.


How can I do that?

*By spending time in, and meditating on God's Word.



*By being in constant communion with Christ—time in prayer, talking with Him, but also listening for His voice.

*By abiding in Jesus.


“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.”
John 15:4-5



Lord, help me to bear fruit for You and not be just a fruity potpourri that smells good but has no substance to it.


Patty Wysong, a home executive with over 20 years of experience, homeschools three of her five children, but don't let that fool you. She spends much of her time working on what God has placed in her hand: her keyboard. From the corner of her living room she writes inspirational fiction, devotionals, blog posts, and teaches online blogging workshops. You'll also find her drinking kool aid from her china cup, preparing for the ladies Bible study she leads, and helping at their church. Patty learned about blogs and blogging the hard way and now delights in teaching and helping others, sparing them that frustration so they can focus on what God has called them to do. Through her writing, Patty has found the extraordinary God in her ordinary life. You can find her at her blog: www.pattywysong.com/





Patty, thank you for this wonderful post! It has been a treasure having you guest write for my Nest. Yes, may we be filled with more, and with that filling, may we use every bit up for the Lord! I love all you have shared here today and I would be honored for you to return. I just know your words will be a blessing to all. Friends, I know, Patty, would love to hear your thoughts. Share with her just how this post has blessed you today and please hop over to her blog at Ordinary Lives and see all that she is doing.  You too, can find, Patty, at Jewels of Encouragement, The Barn Door, and The Book Loft.
















AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...