Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Courage To Love (Special Guest Post by Jennifer Odem White)

Many of us have been hurt – really hurt by someone we love. It’s natural after that happens to guard ourselves from letting that happen again. We get gun shy with how much we will share, how much we “show up” emotionally and how honest we are willing to be. The way we act out the protection of our heart varies from person to person. But the bottom line is we are building a fortress for our fear.




One day I boldly asked God “WHY” He created males and females to offer and need love so differently. I felt like it was cruel joke that could never be resolved. He heard my desperate question and began to show me His perspective.



I began to see that God loves us despite how different we are from him. He’s so perfect and we are so not perfect. And yet He steps into our lives and provides forgiveness, patience, kindness, guidance, wisdom, intervention, and more. He knows that He will not receive from me an equal portion of anything He can give me. But He is faithful to me. He shows up. He gives. He chooses to give me what I do not deserve.



So how do I muster up the courage to love like Jesus loves me and others? I have to ignore my feelings, my pain, and invite the perfection of Jesus living in me to love that person through me. I am called to love Jesus by obeying Him and His command to love others. All of this takes courage!



Where do you get the courage to love….



•the unlovable

•the one who hurt you

•the one who hurt someone you love

•the one who doesn’t make the same life choices as you do

Are you courageous enough to live out Luke 6:27-38 (God’s Word translation)



Love your enemies. Be kind to those who hate you. 28Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who insult you. 29If someone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other cheek as well. If someone takes your coat, don’t stop him from taking your shirt. 30Give to everyone who asks you for something. If someone takes what is yours, don’t insist on getting it back.



31“Do for other people everything you want them to do for you.



32“If you love those who love you, do you deserve any thanks for that? Even sinners love those who love them. 33If you help those who help you, do you deserve any thanks for that? Sinners do that too. 34If you lend anything to those from whom you expect to get something back, do you deserve any thanks for that? Sinners also lend to sinners to get back what they lend. 35Rather, love your enemies, help them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then you will have a great reward. You will be the children of the Most High God. After all, he is kind to unthankful and evil people. 36Be merciful as your Father is merciful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Find this post on Jennifer's blog at http://jenniferowhite.com/the-courage-to-love/ and vist Jennifer's blog, Prayerfully Speaking. It is surely to become a favorite stop of yours. To find out more about Jennifer and where to contact her vist her blog:)

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...