Friday, June 1, 2012

Winning Balance (What I've learned so far about love, faith, and living your dreams) by Shawn Johnson with Nancy French

When I picked up, "Winning Balance", I didn't really know what to expect. I was surprisingly blessed. It is so awesome to see one give glory to God for all He has done, is doing and will do in their life. That is exactly what Shawn does.

I would say, every young girl should pick up this book and read cover to back. Shawn shares about her journey. Not just in gymnastics and winning gold, but being winner in your own skin. She shares with us her life lessons as has over come obstacles and learned to face her fears head on.

Here is a little about Shawn:
Shawn Johnson is an Olympic gold and three-time silver medalist in women's gymnastics. She was the 2007 all-around World Champion and the 2007 and 2008 US all-around champion. Shawn won the eighth season of Dancing with the Stars as the youngest competitor in the show's history. She has appeared on Oprah, Today, Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show, and other programs. Shawn earned ESPN's ESPY Award for Best US Female Olympian in 2009; she also won the Teen Choice Female Athlete of the Year Award in both 2009 and 2011. Visit her online at www.shawnjohnson.net.
 
I love how at the end of each chapter Shawn shares lessons she has learned. Here are a few of my favs.
"Learn to find pride in your own success, even if your accomplishment isn't recognized by others. Your worth isn't determined by the color of the ribbon around your neck or anything else someone might give you. God created you in His image; that is where your worth comes from."
"Life will be richer once you find your passion-but never lose sight of everything else. If one activity becomes everything to you, you may have nothing left if you lose it. To keep my life in balance, my parents didn't want my schedule to be lopsided, too heavily weighted with one activity. They encouraged me to fill my time with the right amount of hobbies, schoolwork, and relationships-in the right proportion."

Shawn also shares a lot of great quotes and poetry. These are life words that will empower you as you ponder them. I enjoyed learning more about Shawn. I was captivated by her story. A story that isn't finished yet. I suppose that is the one thing I love most about Shawn's book. She knows life is a journey and it is worth giving your all and living without limits and regrets.

This book was a gift from Tyndale for it's review.
 


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...