Skip to main content

Nothing goes to waste with God

Have you ever looked back on your life and questioned your actions? Maybe you thought, "Wow, what a waste of time." What if it wasn't? What if what you went through is exactly where you were to be? After all, look at Job. God gave Satan permission to move Job in every way possible. He just wasn't allowed to take his life. So, with that thought, why couldn't God allow those times in our life for a greater purpose, even if we thought they were mistakes?

I didn't come to know the Lord as my Savior until I was twenty-four. Almost twenty-five, but that doesn't mean the Lord didn't know who I was. In fact, He did. He knew me before I ever took my first breath. Just because I didn't realize He wasn't at my side 24/7 didn't mean He wasn't still present. Don't you think each move I made He already knew about it? In fact, maybe through all those years where I was searching, He in fact was leading me straight to Him. Isn't after all, our choice whether we accept Him or not? Well then, we can't count out the fact that it would just as well be our choice of whether or not we follow Him. He is always calling. We just don't seem to bother answering, that is until our heart is ready. Until He has prepared us and the Holy Spirit goes to work. We tend to forget, everything in God's perfect timing.

We want everyone to be saved right now this minute. Ever ask yourself, "Why can't they understand?" Well, just maybe their heart isn't ready to accept yet. Just maybe the Lord is moving in them. Creating a heart willing to accept. Should we really ever count God out of anything? Doesn't He have His hand in everything? There is nothing that touches me without first going through the hand of God. Saved or not saved.

So just think. You gotta love how God takes a part of your life that you thought was a waste of time and changes it into value. He can take a mistake and turn it around to a teaching aid. He can use our past to reach those for the future. He can turn a dream into a reality. NOTHING goes unused by God! NOTHING! You gotta love a God where ALL things are POSSIBLE!

God uses every part of our life for His good. He isn't able to do bad. Those bad things in our lives are in fact, teaching tools. We just gotta be able to see it as that, instead of just bad timing or wasted years. I can share with you that my life is an open book. If you want to know something I will share with you. There are times in my life I look back and think, "What was I thinking? Boy, did I mess up there." Well, even though I may have, God was still teaching me. I am able to see that today. 20/20 vision is great. Hindsight is even better, but we don't get that view in life, do we? We get to see the right now. Too often, we get stuck in just looking back. But, in order for us to move forward, we must be able to look back and learn. Each stepping stone leads to reaching the shore.
 
Today, He is taking things in my life from long ago that I thought were all used up and creating beauty with them. He is even taking those mistakes, those heartaches and turning them into blessings to be used by others in their spiritual growth. Everything my hand pens, comes from something, somewhere, and I can tell you, it sure isn't me. Everything we do has purpose and reason when it comes to God's plan.
 
He is taking dreams and making them reality. He is connecting me with people today I had no idea that even existed a year ago. Our mistake in life? We simply don't dream big enough! God doesn't want us to be simple minded. He wants us to look beyond ourselves and see His capabilities. He wants us to take our eyes off the, "I can't", and place it on the, "HE can!"
 
All those times tears stained my cheeks were times of growth. What I thought was stalemate, God brought to movement and possibility. Just because we can't see beyond today, doesn't mean, He isn't working in our lives for tomorrow. After all, won't we all have a legacy? It's just up to us on what it says. God wants to use up every part of our lives for His glory and honor. When we begin to see that nothing goes unused, it changes our perspective doesn't it? We then begin to see hope in everything. After all, isn't that the very thing God wants us to see? In Him we have hope. We have the hope of letting go of yesterday with the peace that He is going to bring today a great purpose that will leave our hope in tomorrow for others to see.
 
"For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13
 
"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for Me wholeheartedly, you will find Me."
Jeremiah 29:11-12

Comments

Shona Neff said…
Love it, Rob. And SO true!
Kelley said…
Great post, Robin, and so true! I was just thinking of the verse about the locusts this morning. Couldn't remember where it was, so I "Binged" it. LOL Joel 2:25: "I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten...." I know I've felt plenty of regret for wasted time and losses in life, not only in a spiritual sense, but in a day-to-day life sense. Yet I am now starting to see God's repayment in many of those areas, with promises of more to come. :)
Robin Prater said…
Thanks Shona and Kelley! Oh Kelley, I love that scripture!! You gotta love the promise it holds. Yes, like you, I am now seeing how God has been there the whole time and is blessing me in ways I never expected.

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron

I want to begin this review sharing two reviews I was blessed to do. The Butterfly and The Violinand A Sparrow in Terezin. For me these two novels were masterpieces. Works of such exquisite beauty. They showed that Kristy Cambron is gifted with the pen, a master storyteller. They remain two of my all-time top favorites. 
It was for this reason I was thrilled to be receiving a copy of The Illusionist's Apprentice. Once again Cambron shows us a masterpiece of bringing a story to readers that speaks of faith and our Lord. Although throughout the novel these aspects are not boldly proclaimed, but are masterfully weaved throughout the story. 
Magic and illusion are not the same. I love how she brings this truth. Love that the main character was an apprentice to the master of illusion. She takes the use of being an apprentice and walks that road with integrity and hope. When we choose to walk with Christ we are His apprentices. We are to walk as the main character, Wren Lockhart walked…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…