Skip to main content

What are your building materials made of?

I found this quote by Billy Graham, "Make it your goal to build strong foundations for your life--foundations constructed from prayer and the truths of God's Word."

Wow, powerful isn't it? What do we build our foundations on? This world would like to make us think it's all about how successful we are in the world. We can build our foundations on selfishness. We can pretty much build upon anything, but the question is, "Is it lasting?" Anything not built upon the Word of God will soon fall. There is no foundation that is lasting, but the foundation of God.

It's like building a house of cards. We can place card after card, but one shake, one wrong move and wham! They all fall upon one another. Your left picking up the cards only to begin again. We take two and stack them. We hold our breath so we are not shaky. If we are not shaky, someone else is going to come along that is. It doesn't take much for that house of cards to fall.

Unless we are right with the Lord, nothing else can be. If we are not living in the Word and acting out our faith, how can we build meaningful relationships with others? If we are not where we are to be in Him,  everything else around us will become shaky, too. Our co-workers can look to us to see if we are really who we say we are. Too many times they see a side of us that is not in line with God's Word. Our friends too can see us trying to be someone we are not. Our family? Wow, the most important relationships we have and what happens? We get off track with God and soon enough our family begins to feel the stress of that foundation slipping.

Like an earthquake, you can hear it coming before the ground gives way. You hear the rolling. Glass begins to shatter. Trinkets begin to fall, all before the ground cracks wide open. Why can't we see this? In our lives we see that things are not right. In fact, we always want to be right. Ever think about that? We hate to admit when we are wrong. That pride is an ugly thing.

Think of that crack in your window of your car. Oh, it begins with a little, "Ting" from a rock. It starts out small. You think, "It won't be anything of concern." Until you come out to get in your car a few days later and you see a crack beginning to form. Unless you get that windshield to the glass doctor, that crack is only going to grow. It will get bigger and stretch until it has covered your glass and you can no longer see clearly. You must look around it, under it or over it, but however you look, it is still in your view.

"If our minds and hearts area not filled with God's truth, something else will take His place; cynicism, occultism, false religions, philosophies, drugs--the list is endless." Billy Graham

Simply put, if our hearts and minds are not right with God something else will fill that space. When we are right with God we feel His compassion. We live in His truth. We act out our faith. We reach out in love. We forgive easily. We don't keep an account of others actions. We feel His conviction and see our own stumbles before we see another's. We are accountable for our actions and are humble before others.

We can get so caught up in self that we forget the will of God has nothing to do with self, but our willingness in allowing God to shine forth in all we do.

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon." Matthew 7:24-25

Sometimes we must stand alone. Everyone isn't going to want to stand in the Word of God with us. We can lose family and friends when we walk in our faith. We must remember, it isn't us they are rejecting, but the very God we serve. Think about it, if we are really living out our faith, those around us will feel comfort, but they will also feel conviction. We are not here to fit in, but to make a difference. We are to stand out and stand apart from the way the world thinks. Can our neighbors see that we are different when outdoors in our very yards? Do our co-workers see there is something very real and different about us as we work next to them daily? Does our family notice our hearts and minds are in tune with Christ and not how this world thinks? In the world it's, "Me,Me, Me!" It's about how, "I feel".

Our feelings change moment by moment. Basically according to how things are working for us. If things are going great, well, it's time to smile. If things are not so good, it's time to throw ourselves a pity party. The thing is, usually we are the only people who want to attend this party. We must not live by our emotions. We must be grounded in our faith. Knowing that whatever kind of day we are having God is at the center. If He is at the center, well then, we trust Him and we find joy in everything that touches our life.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33


The world around you might be mighty shaky. Struggles and trials might be around every turn, but friends, if you are finding God first, and seeking all that He is, you are going to find yourself covered in His grace and strength. You will remain focused on Him and not your circumstances. Don't limit God by our vision.

"These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

If I am honest with you I can share that the relationship with my children is on shaky ground. After two years of my husband being laid off from work our home life has been shaky too. My health has it's ups and downs. Life sometimes stinks. We just sit back and shake our heads. We just simply can't understand why stuff keeps happening. Friends, that is for us to take a deeper look into our walk with Christ. He may very well be teaching us something valuable about the next step in our walk. Sometimes things happen because of our choices and sometimes it is very well because of others. The key is finding the solution to peace. The only way to peace is through our Savior. It's surrendering all to Him.

Although it breaks my heart to not be right with my daughters right now, I have faith in God. I know He will make it right. As I write this post today, my husband, has found an awesome job. Never give up hope my friends. Never. God will bring you through. He will give you all you need not only to overcome, but to soar above. My health? Well, that is still in question, but I can tell you today I feel wonderful. We can't live in yesterday. We can't struggle in today and we sure can't assume what tomorrow will bring. We must learn to live moment to moment as if it is our last moment to live. Allow God to give us a different view. I promise, if you give Him a chance, He will remove all doubt and show you to live a life of hope.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Comments

Cherie Hill said…
Sister, I am praying for you and your family. What is amazing to me is how God gives you the strength to encourage others even in your weakness. Your post here is an example of Truth: "when you are weak, HE is strong." His glory is shining in and through you in your greatest storms of life and there is nothing that is more powerful. Trust Him continually. You are being purified by the fire . . . you will come forth as gold.
Blessings,
Cherie
Robin Prater said…
Oh Cherie, thank you. Your words give me such encouragement. You are such a sweet heart. Blessings to you sweet friend:)

Sometimes life is so very hard. But we have a God of hope and grace!!

Love and hugs, Rob

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…

Of Stillness and Storm by Michele Phoenix

This is my first novel read by Michele Phoenix. I love the premise of this novel and all that she opened my eyes to. We always hear of the 'calling' by missionaries. We want to go where God calls us. We want to make a difference. 
To be called by God isn't the same for every soul. We all fit differently into His plan. Our walk with Him isn't ALL we do for His name, but our relationship with Him, our intimate journey with our Savior. 
This novel is raw and transparent. For me, it was the journey of Lauren. We see that her husband feels called to work in Nepal and with the people, but we really don't read about much of his personal journey. 
Their son, Ryan, is struggling. We can see through the conversations he has with his parents that he is truly unhappy. We see the fall, but we don't really get a close glimpse into his heart. 
It is with Lauren that we journey. She feels alone and lost. Through her words we can 'feel' the pain in her heart. She is br…