Friday, February 18, 2011

Running low on fuel?

My husband is one of those who wants me to be prepared. I must say I am a blessed woman to have such an amazing husband to care for me as he does. During the winter my trunk is filled with warm clothes, blankets and everything I need in case I get stranded. He forever keeps reminding me to keep my car filled up. See, living in the country if you have an emergency in the middle of the night there are no gas stations for miles. He also knows it is not good for your car to run on low fuel all the time. You know what happens every time he gets into the car? You guessed it. The fuel is low. I always tell him, "Well, I started out with a full tank." He then reminds me before I come home I need to make sure there is gas in the tank. Yes, I am one of those girls who just gets in the car and drives. I never look at anything. If those gages don't light up, well then, I think I am good to go!


I was once driving into the city for a doctor's appointment. This was years ago. Funny how I still remember the smoke coming from the hood of the truck. As I am driving all of a sudden the truck starts slowing down and here comes all this smoke barreling out. I thought what in the world is happening. Well, it turns out I was low on oil. Hey, no gage lite up to tell me that. LOL Anyway I ended up blowing up the truck. That was one of those days you wish you just would have stayed home.

See, the reason my husband keeps me prepared is because he knows I depend on him. He knows I don't know the first thing about cars, but he is teaching me. I know now that every car doesn't have gages that light up.

If our cars are low on anything they just do not run correctly. They not only don't run correctly they are not going to run for very long at all! Gas, oil, the list goes on and on. We have to take time making sure our vehicles are in tip top shape. We can't depend on someone else to do it, we must learn to do it.


I was out shopping with my daughter one summer day and all of a sudden our truck stops. I mean stops! Well, I am thinking, "Oh no, I have done it yet again." I end up calling a tow truck. Well, my husband meets the tow truck there and as I am thinking I have done something horrible, they both turn and laugh. You know what happened? I ran out of gas! We were out shopping and just didn't pay much attention to the gages once again. And again, there was no light!!  You can imagine what my husband is thinking when he receives a phone call from me.

Can you relate to that? Oh, I can too. Not only do our cars need fuel, but our bodies need fuel. I wake and get busy doing chores and I simply forget to eat. I may not eat until that afternoon, but by then my body is reminding me I should have eaten. Our doctors tell us we should eat a healthy breakfast. Nutrition is the key to a healthy life. Good food is fuel for your body. I can tell when I eat better I feel better. When I am running low on a good supply of nourishment my mind too runs low. It is like I am in a fog and moving slowly through the day. I never seem to accomplish anything because I am so very exhausted. Ever feel that way? I see the list before me and just want to stop before I get started.

"And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

We would not set out to take a trip without first filling up our tank. That would just be nonsense. If we don't, well, we might just find ourselves sitting on the side of road waiting for assistance. Life is the same for us. We are not going to make it very far with an empty tank. God is our fuel. When we start our day with Him we are prepared for the day. When we end our evening with Him we too are ready to lay our head down for rest. Rest seems to come more easily for me after I have spent time talking with God. He knows our bodies. He knows every part of us. I can tell you if I do not begin my day with the Lord I feel like I am running on fumes. Even throughout the day, He is that needed boost we need to make it through the next hour, even the next minute.

"Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." Ephesians 6:11-13

My doctor had told me long ago I needed to eat six small meals a day instead of three large meals. It worked. I felt so much better. I had more energy and at the end of the day I didn't find myself falling over in exhaustion. What if we lived our Christian lives in the same way? Why not talk to God throughout the day for that needed fuel for the walk ahead? We can't wake up and not begin with Him. It just doesn't work. He is like that breath of fresh air. That crisp morning breeze that wakes us and makes us smile. No matter what my day brings it is always better when I begin with Him. Keeping a healthy relationship with Him will increase our stamina and fill our minds with the needed nourishment to do all He has called us to.

In our daily walk God He will be our light to tell us when something is wrong. He will give us the warning signals so we know to pull over and refuel. He will keep us in check and having a full tank with Him will take us farther than we ever knew possible.

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9

When we fill up on God's word and His goodness it flows through us. When we focus on Him there is a peace that enters our heart that brings a quietness and a gentleness. We react to others in love. Our attitudes are softer and we are aware of God's presence all around us. He gives us the wisdom we need to face every situation. He gives us a passion to reach out to others.

"I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." Galatians 5:16

When we stop and fill up with God's word His Spirit will move through us in ways we never thought possible. He will allow every situation to be an opportunity to bring glory and honor to Him. You know just what I am speaking of. When we begin our day with Him we have a joy that is lasting. Just as if we start the day with a great breakfast. We feast upon His word it not only brings blessings to us, but all those around us.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...