Monday, May 10, 2010

more more and more

"If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world." C.S Lewis

Ever find yourself wanting more? I do. Yesterday my husband made a comment about getting me a new car and he would drive mine to work, leaving the diesel truck here. My eyes lit up and I thought for a moment, "Wow, a new car!!!" I had to catch myself there in my wish list. Ever make a wish list? Well, for this girl, I have a problem of just adding more and more to my list. Finding that one is never enough. And you know what? More, is never enough.

I struggle really badly with this, and I hate to admit that. But I must be honest. I think in some ways I am still searching for my happiness in things, instead of Jesus. I am content. I really am, so that is why I really don't understand my struggle, and I really want to.

As you know I love purses. I have one now that I absolutely love, and I do not want another, which is really shocking, but will probably only last until I see another that is really amazing, and shouts my name.

As my husband was on a lay off for just about two years, you learn to do without, and make do. My husband has a coffee cup with his motto on it. It says: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!" Believe me when I say this is his motto. I have to throw his clothes away after they are so worn out or else he will keep wearing them until pieces are missing. (You ladies will understand that, right?)

Any who, it is my husband that has helped me grow in my spending habits. Although I have one credit card now, it has a small limit, and I will never allow that limit to go higher. But it wasn't always that easy for me. A card in my purse meant, lets go shopping whether we need something or not. It has taken this daddies girl a long time to learn to purchase my needs not my wants, and I am still a work in progress, but much, much better.

As my husband is back to work now, I must watch myself so I do not fall into the trap again, and shopping for my wants instead of my needs. But why? Why do we feel the need to have more?

If you are blessed with having much, please do not misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with having a shopping day out with the girls. There is nothing wrong with purchasing something pretty, but its when that one day turns into two, then three, and pretty soon, you are finding that you are over the top once again.

When I came across this quote from C.S Lewis it just hit home for me. Home. Where is home? This earth and all this stuff is not home. I think we are continually trying to be home. Things, and the more things we have the more we feel at home. We feel important. We feel special. We feel giddy inside. You know that feeling. If you haven't been home for awhile, and you pull into the drive, you know the butterflies begin to swirl around, and the excitement hits. If someone notices you, you feel special. We want to be accepted and loved, and when we are surrounded by things we feel that giddiness for a bit, but then it leaves. That is why we continue to want more, and soon, more is not satisfying. The things of this earth were not meant to satisfy us. This is not our home. We were made for another world, another home, and that is with Jesus. He is what should satisfy us, and if He isn't, it isn't Him, it is us. All Jesus is will satisfy us if we die to our flesh. If we die to our wants He is enough.

There are folks who have more than I can even fathom and are unhappy people. Then you have those who are poor and without a home of their home, and you find smiles on their faces. The secret is knowing that things can only satisfy for a moment, while Jesus satisfies for a life time of forever.

Wherever your home is, let it be enough. Whatever your job is let it be enough. Whatever you are wearing today, let it be enough. May the reasons we strive for more be to bring glory and honor to God, not the gods of our things. If we are thinking more for me, than we do not need more. If we are thinking more for others and God, then He will find a way to make it happen for His honor and glory. He will always make a way. When we are satisfied in Jesus, we find a whole new meaning of more. We find ourselves wanting more of Him, and less of this world!

Hebrews 13:5 "Keep your lives free from love of money and be content with what you have, because God said, Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."

1 Timothy 6:6-10 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith, and pierced themselves with many griefs."

Colossians 3:7 "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...