Saturday, May 8, 2010

what time is it?

As I sit here and look at all that is before me today I see that I have many tasks to complete. We can make those lists, get caught up in today, and all those functions before us that soon we are so busy, we look behind and say, "I wish I would have spent more time with those I love." We never quite think those thoughts until one is gone. Until time has passed oh so quickly.
At the end our lives I don't think we will really be thinking about that next home run we needed to hit, that ladder we needed to take a few more steps up on, nor the shiny new car in our drive way. Instead, we will think about those we left behind to do our fun for the day. We will think about those we left behind while trying to make it to the top, and that new car? It won't mean much if there is no one to ride in it with us.

I look around me at all the business and see hurting people. They just don't know they are hurting yet. That hurt will seep in when those we love are gone, when yesterday is no more, and today we think upon, "Why didn't I spend more time?"

We can get caught up in ME TIME, and this world will tell us how much we deserve it. Its always nice to have a day to relax, but why not share it with another? Why not reach out to someone who doesn't get a lot of time away and ask them out to lunch? What about asking that busy mom if she would love some company in her day? What about stepping in and spending the day with one you needs it? See, when we think about others, when we give our time to others, the blessings just seem to flow.

Its about giving that smile, that hug, that laughter, and spending time with those around us. When you continue to say, "Sorry, I am too busy." One day those people will not be here to ask, "Lets go out to lunch." We seem to make time for all things that we want to be busy with. Isn't that enough ME TIME?

I want to spend time with my husband, my children, my friends. I know the importance of time and wishing you had more. My husband has never really lost anyone close to him, so he doesn't really understand that pain of wishing for more. But I have. When I lost my daddy at nineteen, I wasn't living for anyone but me. After his death is when I wished I would have shared more, asked more, and knew him more. I spend time with my mom, and as she is aging, the thought of losing her aches in my heart, but in the end, I will not, and I refuse to say the words, "I wish I had more time." I am making sure I give. When she needs me I drop what I am doing and I am there. I must say, sometimes I am tired and weary, so I may not start out with a smile, but once I see the smile of my mom, I know this time is all worth it.

We must remember it is never about us. When we take our eyes off ourselves long enough we will then begin to see the needs of others. Why wait for someone to ask when we already know there is a need?

I want to live my life in such a way that it is not my own. I want to live so in the end I have no regrets. I want to live today for today, blessing those around me. For me to do this I must get the world out of my head and my flesh. All those THINGS and STUFF call our name, but we need to learn to answer to the blessings around us that really matter.

In the end its not the time we spent in the office, or all those hours cleaning our house that will matter. Its the time we chose to spend away from the office with our family, and the time we chose to make tents in the living room, and shadows on the wall.

We cannot rewind time, it keep moving forward, never stopping. And wow, to those hands move quickly. Our time is valuable, so why not make the best of it, and smile, never having any regrets of we spent our time.

Saying, "I love you", is just not enough. It is that action behind those words that bring true love. Its easy to say,"Lets get together", but it means more just to show up and make time.

There are those things we cannot put off, and we all have business to care for, but its all those in between things that we let control our lives and our time. In the end, its not gonna be about gain, but about giving, and you cannot love without giving. You cannot share love without time, and in time together is where we find love.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...