Sunday, April 18, 2010

who is in the ring with you?

In this fight we have Robin Prater, champion of overcoming obstacles with faith, and in this corner we have Migraine, the attacker who tries to knock you down cold! Ever felt like you were in a ring or a cage with the biggest UFC fighter or the champion boxer of your time? It seems we are always fighting something, and something is always on the attack.
Today, for me, its a migraine, and this one is a big one. This one is trying its best to knock me down, but I am fighting with every ounce of stamina I have. It hit late yesterday afternoon, and I was up all night fighting this thing, this thing that is trying to overcome my body and mind. As I woke this morning, my head would not come off the pillow. I struggled, and thought, "I am not giving in that easy." As I reached for my pain meds, they seemed to take the edge off while I showered. Today it took a little more than thirty minutes to get ready. I made it to Sunday School, and was ready to worship when it came on even more fierce than before. Just when I thought I was overcoming it, it hit again. My husband drove me home and as I put on my P.J's the bed looked inviting, but so many thoughts kept going through my mind I had to press on.

For me, there are days when I can't go on, I must throw in the white towel, but there are those days like today I just want to fight it. I don't want to allow it to win. I know this one is a battle I will overcome, maybe not today, but tomorrow. Whatever this thing tries to throw at me I know I have a mighty Savior who is standing there giving me strength, and covering me with His healing hands.

This thing may knock me down, but I know without a doubt that I will not stay there long. The Lord will be there to lift me up, wipe me off, and help me stand again. This morning as I showered and the tears just seemed to fall, the only thought I had was to pray, and that it what I did. I asked the Lord to heal me as the water rushed over me. I asked for His strength, and I know He was there listening to each word.

Sometimes we feel as though we are in combat, fighting our way through the day, only to retreat, taking a few steps back. But in those steps back, we have time to rest, we have time to think upon the Lord. No matter what the fight, we can make it through each battle with a renewed strength in the Lord. We must learn which battles to fight and which ones to let go. It's okay to walk away and sometimes that is what is needed to win the battle.

As these UFC fighters and boxers get ready to walk into the ring they don't just show up, they are prepared, they have trained for years, for months, and they know their enemy. They are ready to battle with their gloves up. They don't just walk in unprotected, they make sure they have their gear on, and they keep their heads up. They may get knocked down, they may get bruised up, and they may even lose that battle, but they never give up! They persevere, and they try harder, giving it all they have. They don't walk away with defeat, they walk away knowing they gave it all they could. They learn from that fight as they move on to the next.

Whatever you are battling today you are not alone. The King of kings, Lord of lords is right there with you. He will meet you where you are at. He will give you all you need. This life can be hard at times. We have those moments when all is smooth sailing, and we feel as though we are winning, and out of no where comes this "Fighter" ready to knock us to our knees. I am learning the best way to fight back is on my knees. Those big battles are won when we are on our knees crying out to God. There are UFC fighters who are trained to fight on the ground, they know all the moves to overcome their assailant. We too can learn to win those battles by being in God's word, by covering ourselves with His armor, and learning the war is already won!
Psalm 61:3-4 "For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of Your wings."
Psalm 46:1-3 "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, through the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."
Romans 3:3-5 "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us."
Ephesians 6:10-11 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."
Whatever is attacking you today, you too can overcome by having faith in God, and placing your life in His hands. There is no one I would trust more with my life than He who created me. Whatever the fight, whoever is in the ring with me has no chance to overcome me when I have the King of kings on my side!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...