Sunday, April 18, 2010

are you hearing what I'm hearing?

I remember as a kid sitting in the backseat of our old car while mom and dad were in the front listening to Loretta Lynn, Conway Tw itty, and Hank Williams. I thought I was going to die! But my parents loved this music. It was a part of who they were. Music keeps changing, and the lyrics to songs keep being pushed further and further. How far are we willing to go?
I am a lover of all music. I love Christian, pop, country, Celtic, bluegrass, gospel, the oldies and even classical. The louder the better for me. When my youngest daughter was home we would be driving and she would turn it on the classical station for fun. She would orchestrate the music with her hands flying through the air, and we would laugh and have such a great time. But we also listened to that music with a new attitude. She would even fall asleep at night with it playing. Our children grew up listening to every kind of music there is.

Just as when they were young, if a song came on that was not proper we would change it. Today my son and I can be driving and we have the windows open and the radio up listening to the local pop station. Ever be driving along listening to the beat and never really hear the words? That happened to us this week. We heard an artist's new song come on and really liked the beat, even listened to it, but it came on today and I really listened to the words. I thought I was going to be sick. These words were nothing our ears needed to hear, and the amazing thing is, my son turned the station! We finally understood what the words of this song were and knew it was not right to listen even if the beat was great.

I am the first person to fall into temptation and stumble over music. This girl likes to dance in the living room and listen to music while I exercise, but I often stumble without even paying attention.

When I was a teen I went to many rock concerts and really never paid attention to the lyrics, until a few years back while switching stations an old song came on and wow, I finally heard the lyrics I wasn't hearing before and was shocked.

If we are not careful those words stay stuck in our head, words that should not be there to begin with. Junk in, junk out. What we allow ourselves to be fed we will in turn feed that to others.

An artist is there to make money. Artists today will do anything and go to any extreme to make a name for themselves. We have Christian artists and even Christians singing in other areas bringing glory to God, but when we turn on the radio and a song comes on speaking about sex, women in provocative ways, and lets just say every immoral life style we should be turning that station.

Where are our values? Where is our example to our children, our family, our friends and those around us listening? If I choose to listen to music that is not bringing glory to God, who is gaining glory? Satan! Everything that enters my ears and eyes that is not to a high standard is taking away from the Lord and I am giving in to the world.

This world is not here to give us wisdom, but to bring us down. If we do not hold high standards for ourselves who will? All it takes is just one song, one lyric and little by little we are not changing the station any longer. We soon ignore the conviction we are feeling, and give in to the flesh. The more we give in, the more we are not following what the Lord wants for us.

As I always said to my kids, "If Jesus was here sitting next to you would you be listening to that or watching that program with Him?" I must ask myself that same question daily. Too many times I falter and I mess up the plans He has for me, by living in my fleshly desires. I am not just hurting myself, but those around me. If I choose to listen to the music on the radio it needs to be music that not only is lifting me up but lifting up the Lord.

So today I must ask myself, "Am I being the example I need to be?" "Is the music I am listening to words I would hear in heaven?" There are so many gifted artists with beautiful voices. Voices that carry such passion and grace. I hear some of these artists and I think wow, what a gift they have, and then a new song of theirs comes out and I take a listen and wonder what they were thinking? Is it money? Is it what the world wants to hear? Where is the limit of value we place on what we hear and sing? If these artists are willing to give up their morals to make money, is that something I really want to listen to? I lose all respect when I hear these words come out of the mouths of these young women and men.

As I am trying to overcome my temptations, as my struggles continue, I am more aware today than I was yesterday that it is not God's will for me to listen to music that is not bringing glory and honor to His name. I may not be able to change these artists views, but I can change the station, and I can be aware of the Lord's whisper in my ear to always honor Him.
2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."
1 Peter 1:13-16 "Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...