Tuesday, March 16, 2010

where do you go?

When you need advice, when life is throwing hail at you, when your children are making you scream, when you husband didn't pick up his socks this morning, when all is not right at home, when your friendships have failed, or when you are looking to help yourself in some area, where do you go?
I use to be an avid watcher of Dr. Phil and yes, Oprah too. But my friends, I can't tell you the last time I watched these programs. Yes, you can find out some great information on these programs, but listen, it is not Godly wisdom, it is wisdom of the world. There is a big difference here, and if we are not careful we can get caught in what the world is telling us we need instead of what God is showing us we need.

I have to admit, when I have a worry, a doubt, or a frustration, the bible is not always my first place to go. Often I pick up the phone and call a girlfriend instead. I ask others instead of going to the One I should go to first. Yes, its great to get Godly advice from your girlfriends and your family, but not until we have first called upon God.

You know why I call a girlfriend? I can hear them right away! When I go to God I know He hears me right then, and He is answering my prayer. See, God often tells me to be still my daughter, and that's the part that gets me. It is so hard to be still when the sound of the wind is rushing around you and your waiting for the rain to stop, but I am learning in fact that being still is the best way to go, and God knows this, its just my stubborn head can't get it at times. In those moments of being still we learn to grow in faith, and we learn to trust God and His wisdom. We cool down, we calm down, and we focus on what is true and right in front of us. Many times when we react to a situation right then we may lose our temper, say things that should not be spoken, and in turn make things much worse, when if we just could have sat back, spent time in prayer things would have a different turn out. It has taken me a long time to learn this bit of wisdom, but I am finally seeing God knows best and His timing is always correct.

We often wish we had that easy button, but life is teaching me the easy road is not always the best to take. It is often that hard road up ahead that teaches me the most and in the end has the blessings waiting for me that I did not expect.

As women we have all these magazines we can pick up, check out at the counter and go home and read while everyone else is sleeping. Have you seen the cover of these mags lately? Some of them not only take us into the kitchen, carry us to remodel our living room, but they go into the bedroom too! The only one I need to go to about my bedroom is my husband! The sad thing is that we pick these up hoping to gain information, but this information is mostly wrong with a few highlights we can grab and use.

For all things I should go straight to my heavenly Father for all my needs in every area. Sometimes it is hard because we are looking for an answer or excuse to point a finger at others for our troubles , when in fact seeking God we might find that we are where our solution needs to begin, right here in our hearts. But then again we can be thinking all is grand in our world until we pick up one of these magazines and self help books and it can make us think there is something indeed wrong with us because we are not fitting what these pages say we should be doing. Well, sisters let me tell you the problem is lying in where we are looking for our information at! We do not want the wisdom of this world, we want the wisdom of the One who created us, who gave us the greatest words to guide us in every area of our lives.

I have found in my life the best thing I ever did was tune out the television, stop picking up those magazines, and pick up the love letter to my heart and yours.

Now, let me say there are many wonderful, amazing ministries out there to help lead us and lift us up in the Lord. I have many listed on my blog that I read daily, so please do not misunderstand me. In all the great information out there to fill us with God's love, the first place we should always go is straight to Him!
Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...