Thursday, March 4, 2010

are you needing refreshed?

My home is full of plants. Now, remember I am the girl who killed the cactus my husband brought me back from New Mexico. Usually I over water them, but many times I can get so busy I forget about watering my beautiful plants and their leaves begin to wither. They start flopping over, like they are screaming out, "Don't you see us? Help us!" When their leaves or flowers begin to wither it is a sign that they are in need of water. Their roots are thirsty, the dirt is dry, and the leaves are weak and can no longer hold themselves up.

Ever sound like your walk in Christ? It does mine. I always try to be as honest as I can. Its a part of sharing the reality that we all struggle. In my walk my leaves can get droopy and my dirt gets real dry.

Just like the plants, I can always tell when this begins to happen. There are signs. Signs like my attitude, my actions, and my thoughts begin to change. I am no longer focused on my goal, my God, but all the things around me.

Have you ever watched a rose bloom? When your husband has brought them home to you, they are still in the bud, not yet fully bloomed. You can put the little packet of nourishment in for them, and within a few days, they are coming open, they have a sweet aroma, and they are inviting to the eye, and to all our senses. Everyone wants to see them, and the beauty they behold. They are a rich, vibrant color. Just walking by they catch your eye. Wow, and when they are fully bloomed, you just can't seem to stop looking at them.

My walk should be such as a rose in bloom. I should attract attention by the beauty of God moving through me. I should be different, having a rich color and a vibrant aroma they smells sweet to others. But do so, I need nourishment. I need to be feed by God's word. I need to watered by His love and grace. And there are times I need a little pruning, so I can grow more, spreading out my branches and doubling my roots.

I look at my roots as my legacy I am leaving behind. Sure the rose others see, and hopefully that bloom brings others to walk more sweetly with Him by my attitude in my walk. But God sees how I take care of my plants, my flowers and the roots.He sees how much time I spend in the garden and if I am enjoying my work. He sees if I am working in the garden and tilling up the ground or if I am just walking on by not paying attention.

Just as the plants cry out at times for lack of attention, I too cry out to God. There are times I think He is not paying attention, but He is. He is watering my garden, He is watching over my bloom. But it is up to me to drink the water. To open my heart to all He has for me. He can't do anything for me if I am not willing to allow Him to.

Can you see those little, wilting arms of the plant reaching out, crying out for water? Are you crying out today? There are things in our lives we have no control over. Losing a job,the loss of a loved one, a sickness, or actions from others that cause hurt to us. God has placed plants outdoors in their natural habitat. Those that grow in one area will not do their best in another. Some plants you can totally uproot them, replant them and you know what? They thrive in a new area. The place they once were was giving them all the nourishment they needed, so to be uprooted, although hard and shocking at times, is the best thing for them. Just as if there is an area in my life that is not keeping me strong, and lifting me up, I need to let it go. For those very things choke us, they grab hold and its hard to let go.

Just as you must keep a garden weeded, I too have learned to keep my walk weeded. There are areas in my life that I have had to change. Some things needed pulled up and I needed replanted in another area to fully grow.

Plants in isolation do not do well.The elements that surround us can sometimes bend us over with the strong wind, the rains can pour down on us, and the heat can destroy us. But we don't have to face these elements alone. With God's strength and wisdom He can see us through, protecting us from the storms around us, sheltering us from the rising water. He is mightier than any storm to cause us fear. His grace can cover us in the deepest freeze. The warmth of the Son can bring life, and bring new life like never before. We need Light, we need Food and Water. God is all of those things for us. We need air, just like a rose. A wilted rose brings a sadness to my heart. This once vibrant rose, that was alive and full of beauty has now wilted and died. This happens in so many of our lives, and when it does we stand back and ask ourselves, "How?" We can't grow all on our own. We need help just like the flowers in our homes. We can't always count on someone else to reach out and take notice. Our walk is our walk, and it is between the Lord and us. He can restore us. He can lift us up. He can bring us back to life.

Don't allow your walk to wilt and become dry. Allow the God to water your garden so you grow, and become the sweet smelling rose He designed you to be. When we take the time with God and walk through the garden He will restore all around us. He will fill us with all we need to bloom for Him. Let the sun shine today, let the breeze blow across your face, and soak in all He has for you.
Philippians 4:19 "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Galatians 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control."
Galatians 5:25 "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."
Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you but to to justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...