Saturday, February 20, 2010

did that make you blush?

I think most would call me old fashioned. I am sure my kids would. I remember blushing as a kid when someone would say something to me. Maybe even blushing when that first boy threw me a kiss. When I had seen something I knew my eyes shouldn't have seen I remember blushing. But what about today?


Being old fashioned I still believe a girl should never call a boy. I believe before a boy asks a girl out he should show respect and ask her father. Remember the phrase,"A blushing bride?" She was innocent to all around her. She had a sweetness that you could see in her eyes.


Children blush all the time. Their innocence shows in their actions. They are honest and pure. So what has happened in today that makes us so different? Why have we allowed things to come into our minds, our homes and our hearts that no longer make us blush when they should?


We watch movies and laugh at things that are wrong in so many ways. We hear jokes and even tell them that are wrong on so many levels. We allow our eyes to see things that make an imprint on our hearts. Why? Have we just gotten so used to things that being in this world they no longer effect us?


I remember being at the Muny one summer with my children. While we were on our way to our seats we walked under a huge fan, and this fan happened to take my skirt up with it. I tried as fast as I could to get out from under this fan and pull my skirt down. I was blushing, but no one around us was. It was no big deal, it was nothing they hadn't seen before. We can turn on the television or go to our local mall and see women barely dressed. We can go purchase a calendar filled with naked firemen. Does nothing make us blush any longer?


We can actually be hypnotized by something like it is a car wreck when we know without a doubt we should turn away. Do we not keep anything from our eyes anymore? What is there left to see that we haven't seen already?


We can laugh at people, at circumstances, the way another has dressed, the house they live in, the car they drive, or the latest joke being told. We can turn on late night television and be enthralled with nasty jokes, jokes that we then share with our friends. We seem to share all these visions we are seeing with others in hopes they too will chuckle at what we thought was the laugh of the day.


We can watch Victoria Secret models prance on a stage in nothing in hopes to bring in a dollar. We can no longer take our children to the mall without having them see pictures and manikins of the skimpiest clothing, only to have them then ask questions.


We cannot even sell a hamburger on television with having sex sell it for us. Are we not being told that sex sells? Does seeing a girl in tiny clothing really make you want to go to Burger King? When are happy meals going to come with a model or a condom? We do we condone such behavior?


Why as a society have we closed our eyes to what we know is right and opened them to what we know is wrong? We are not making progress, we are going backwards in a fast way. We are going backwards in the fact that our godly beliefs are escaping our hearts and what the world has to offer is taking its place.


To see a child blush is one of the sweetest things ever. To see those little cheeks turn a pinkish hue is stating their innocence. So where has ours gone? As adults should we still not be blushing when we hear others cursing? When we see sex or a woman half naked? When we see a movie about a woman having an affair should we not walk out knowing its wrong?


I am one of those women that when a man calls out words to me, or stares at me with his eyes up and down my figure, I blush, I get angry and I hate it. I hate seeing men that could be my father look at my daughters. But this is not just about men, its women too. At times we can be the worst, in our little groups, laughing and speaking of the worker who was in our presence last week.


What has happened to our voice? Do we no longer stand up and say something is wrong? We just seem to let things go by, looking with our eyes, listening with our ears and lusting in our hearts.


This is not what God wants for us. When He tells us to keep our eyes on pure things, to think pure thoughts, He is telling us these things because He knows what we will struggle with. When we allow our eyes and ears to be part of things that our heart knows is wrong, sooner or later our heart is not going to take notice any longer.


If we are to keep our hearts pure we are going to have to protect our vision and our ears. When someone begins to tell a joke, instead of looking with our eyes wide open waiting for the punch line, may we be strong enough to tell that friend, "No, I don't want to hear such things, its wrong." When our daughter wants to dress in the latest style, may we as mothers be strong in our beliefs and explain why she shouldn't wear such things. Instead of handing our daughters money to go shopping, why not go with them? Teaching our daughters and having a special time with them can bring them into womanhood with the right morals and values.


The more we protect our hearts, the more we will be examples for others. Maybe even the children can be examples for us.


Matthew 5:8 " Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God."


Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy meditate on these things."





AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...