Saturday, December 5, 2009

hands

Today would have been my dad's 69th birthday. Today is such a bittersweet day for me as I think of him. Although I miss him with all my heart, I know that he is in heaven celebrating with the Lord. My dad loved the holidays, and Christmas was his favorite. It was unbelievable to share the holidays with my dad and to share our birthdays in December together. We always opened our presents early, we always laughed and we shared a love of the snow. One thing I remember about my dad is just how big his hands were. He had huge hands and arms, arms that every boy I ever liked feared. Although my dad had huge hands, they were hands that were full of love. He had a working mans hands, callused and dry, but I remember just how soft he would touch the cheek of my mother. As I was thinking of my dad today, and thinking of his hands I couldn't stop thinking of our Savior's hands, my Heavenly Father's hands. The hands of a carpenter are hands that are scared, but the hands of our Savior carried much different scars on them. They carried the scars of nail piercing, the nails that brought life to us. I think just how big those hands were to create the world and everything in it from big to small, but just how loving they are to wipe our tears away from our cheeks. God not only created the universe, but he created the smallest creature, the smallest flower, along with the love He placed in our hearts. When I think of Him there are no words to describe all I feel. It is no wonder the cherubims surrounding Him are singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy", what else could you say to the One who is so great and mighty before us? As I remember my dad holding my hand and my little hand fitting into his, I can also have praise for my Savior holding onto my hand and never letting go. One day, one day we will finally meet, and I will see my Savior's face and feel those nail pierced hands. What a day that will be to celebrate. This time of year we celebrate His birth, and it is such a joy when we find the true meaning of Christmas, but we should celebrate His life daily, giving Him praise for all we have and for all that is to come. This time of year is so special to me. To celebrate my dad's birthday, to remember him and all he did for me, to celebrate my birthday and the life that has been given to me by Christ, and to celebrate my Savior's birth and all He gave for me. For me, I have realized its not the gifts, its not even the tree, its the love, the laughter, the time spent together with those we love. It about giving from your heart and reaching out to others. Lord, I thank You for my earthly father who gave his love to me freely, I thank you for my 43 years growing closer to You each day and for You, for your birth, your life, and the greatest gift anyone could give. May I spend the rest of my life showing You just how grateful I am for You and all of Your gifts. May our family begin new traditions, may we share the love that You have given us, and may our lives shine, bringing You all the glory that You so richly deserve~ Psalm 18:35 "You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great." Isaiah 64:8 "But now, O Lord, You are the Father; We are the clay, and You are the potter; And all we are the work of Your hand."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...