Friday, August 21, 2009

just another place to add to the list?

We have so many places to go. We go shopping for food for our families, if you are like us, we spent the majority of our time at sports activities with our children. We have arrands to run daily, that seem to tire us. We work all week, only to be home on the weekends making up what we didn't get finished during the week. Have you ever been driving home from a place that you frequent, and before you know it your in the drive way? You have driven this road so many times you could find your way blindfolded. For us during school we have a set time for everything, we know what has to be done, and when we have to get it finished by. In our lives if we are not careful, we can get into a funk, we can get into a cycle, and go through all the motions not really taking part. Are Sunday mornings like this for you? Has it just become habit to set the alarm, pick out your outfit, get the kids ready, fix breakfast, clean up everthing, change clothes again for the third time, grab your bible, read the Sunday school lesson you didn't have time to do through the week, get in the car, drive and walk through the doors, walking to your classroom, saying hello to everyone who passes, get seated for class only to watch the clock go by and now move upstairs and set your behind in a pew? The music begins to play, the Pastor begins to preach, the altar call is coming, you pray, and then you walk out the door only to think, "What is it he said,what was that message?" We at times can go through all the motions, only to miss out on the blessings right in front of us. Everything becomes a ritual, we go through the motions, only to begin another week. Is Sunday just another day of the week for you? Is it important for you, are you coming to worship, or has it become something you have to do to follow your list? I have to admit I have been in that trap. You get so tired and bogged down, you get lost in all you have to do, you must keep moving, because if you lay down, slow down, or just stop to enjoy, your going to fall asleep from the rest you are not getting from all that is in your life. Oh, how well I know this in my own life. There was a time I was homeschooling my three children, teaching Sunday School for the Junior High, teaching Awana on Wednesday nights, and I was in a race to get our children in all the places they had to be. That last year of doing all, I was helping to plan our oldest daughters wedding, and coaching softball. I just kept going through all the motions, and was so busy, I couldn't stop to enjoy, to just breathe. After that year, I learned to slow down, or I was going down. Even church became just another check off my list. I feel today I missed so much, for all I thought I had to do. I use to teach the kids at church, that if they will place God first, all else will fall into place. It is so true. To let other things go to make God our priority, to slow down, and listen to the music, to calm ourselves to see the beauty of all around us. Today I have learned from the past, I now place God right where He should be, and I can tell you once I did that, life seemed to all fit in its part. Nothing is more important than walking with Christ, to have Him in our hearts, to learn and grow with Him while we are serving Him. When He enters the picture, the whole scene changes, and we begin to see things in a new light. Don't just go through the motions, let the motions of Christ fill you until your cup is overflowing. Place Him first, open your heart and get excited about all that He is doing. Its amazing when we stop long enough to see the beauty and to hear His whispers of love.. "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober, be viligant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever.Amen

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...