Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why do I not pray before I open my mouth?

Proverbs 15:1-2 states; "A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness." Wow, is this one to think upon,and ouch,is it true. I have so often opened my mouth without thinking and have wished I could put those words right back in my mouth where they came from. Have you ever been discussing something and all of a sudden these words come out of your mouth and you even take a step back because you have no idea where they came from or why you said them? With love and the best of intensions I always end up making things worse by using my mouth. I think I am giving advice,and often I do,but sometimes I just need to shut up and let the Lord do His work in others. Does He really need me making things worse? No. So many times I have felt the need to say something when I seen my children making a huge mistake. I have learned and am still learning that the Lord is just good,and He teaches us everyday. He has been teaching me to shut up, listen, and pray. Many times we don't need to say anything at all,we need to trust in God, and pray. Pray like never before. When we see others making mistakes they don't need to hear from us with words that only hurt,they need to hear from the Lord. They need His touch. I have grown with the Lord more in the last five years than ever before,and He has taught me many things. I still falter so often but I know that He is there and forgiving. We really do start out with good intensions to speak with others. We have so much love for them and want to help. I have learned to go to God in prayer. Staying in prayer and believing and knowing He will do His work and if I pray first before speaking,I may not have to say anything at all. Many times with our children,they don't need us to say so much,but to listen,to pray,and with that prayer they will learn and grow. Sometimes we have to learn things on our own and see things for ourselves. We don't need others to point them out for us,we need them to pray for us. When we pray God gives us His wisdom and understanding.If we start with that and He leads us to speak,our words are not going to be harsh,but soft with the love of God in them. This has been a hard lesson for me,but the Lord is still teaching this girl how to walk with Him,and I hope and pray that everyday I will continue to learn and grow with Him. God gives us all we need,and many times all I need is to hush my mouth and pray.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...