Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Sons of Blackbird Mountain by Joanne Bischof

This being my first novel to read by author Joanne Bischof I am anticipating my next choice penned by her hand. I really enjoyed this novel. 

I love when a cover captures my eye and grabs my attention. This cover is extraordinarily beautiful. The title was next to make me ponder. LOVE! 

I was intrigued by the storyline. The opening of this novel brought to mind the opening of the musical, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Our main character has traveled a long distance into a new land, the Appalachian Mountain area. She was expecting one thing and was surprised to find she had been deceived a bit. I ponder if she would have known the truth would she have traveled to this new and unknown place. 


I loved being introduced to the world around a deaf mute. Joanne did a wonderful job in giving the reader the detail and emotion to know this character on a deeper level as we were invited into his world of silence. This character really stands out for me. 

This family has made their living brewing hard cider. They own a great deal of land. This is another time and place, but so much of what they endure we too are able to relate to. What makes this novel even more intriguing for me is that the man lives in a silent world is also an alcoholic. A subject that this author brings to life with grace.

The main character being surrounded by men, all hoping for a bride, with much work before her doesn't run away. She remains steadfast. I loved her spirit and heart. She lives with a mighty hope and faith. It is this gentle and unwavering faith that brings these people to living with a new hope, something that had been missing. 

This novel came together beautifully. Well written with heart and emotion. My take away is the blessed gift of redemption. It is here we see the unending love of God. We see Him move within these characters. This is aspect I always enjoy with Christian fiction. 

This was a sweet gem of a read. 

This novel was a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you. 

Joanne Bischof is an ACFW Carol Award and ECPA Christy Award-winning author. She writes deeply layered fiction that tugs at the heartstrings. She was honored to receive the San Diego Christian Writers Guild Novel of the Year Award in 2014 and in 2015 was named Author of the Year by Mount Hermon conference. Joanne's 2016 novel, The Lady and the Lionheart, received an extraordinary 5 star TOP PICK! from RT Book Reviews, among other critical acclaim. She lives in the mountains of Southern California with her three children. JoanneBischof.com.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...