Thursday, July 31, 2014

Color Me Beautiful

 My granddaughter loves flowers. She brings them to my nose and says, "Smell, Nanny. Isn't it pretty?". As I have now inhaled the dust from the flowers (lol) I look at her with a smile and say, "I have an idea". Which she is immediately excited about! 

I had purchased a pack of food coloring. Blue, red, green, and yellow. We set out with scissors and a pitcher in hand to capture all the Queen Anne's Lace we could find. Peyton gathered all the flowers we needed. Giggling with joy we went inside and prepared to create some color. 

As you know Queen Anne's Lace is white. They are delicate and spectacular all the same. I filled some mason jars with water and Peyton pinched the bottles of coloring into each. As I trimmed the flowers she placed them in the jars. She may have enjoyed just a bit more of green coloring than needed. (lol sorry momma). And now the waiting came. Peyton says, "Nanny, they aren't turning yet". So, I share with her again that it takes time. Over the next few hours of play she would continue to run back to the kitchen just to check. 

Then it happened! I think the neighbors a mile down could have heard Peyton's squeals of joy. "Nanny, Nanny, hurry! Come look! They changed, they changed! Oh, Nanny, they are so pretty!" 

Over the next few hours they continued to brighten and change deeper shades of the colors we added. I shared with Peyton the science of what was happening. Although she thought that was super cool, all she really cared about was the fact that she made something change. She created beauty. When her momma and daddy came to pick her up she couldn't wait to show them her masterpiece of beauty. 

I've always loved these tender beauties and now what a blessing to have passed down that same joy to my granddaughter. What a sweet day it was to spend with her making beauty that expresses such a valuable lesson. 

"Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things." 
Philippians 4:8

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is good and acceptable and perfect will of God." 
Romans 12:2

As I thought about our day I thought about my heart. All that I allow in my life. You know, everything that touches my life. See, the more I soak in Jesus, the more of Him I want. The more time I spend in prayer the more I  know Him. The more time I spend in praising Him the more my attitude changes. I'm colored beautiful. Not by anything I have done, but by all that He is doing. 

Change isn't always easy. Waiting teaching us lessons in patience. Another difficult life lesson. But as Peyton and I seen, change often creates unexpected beauty. Waiting gives God an opportunity for us to be ready to experience His glory in such a way that we couldn't have if it had not been for the waiting. 

I left these flowers on my table for an entire week. The precious flowers were falling off and spreading themselves around the table. For me, this was beauty. It was a reminder of the sweet time I had spent with my granddaughter. This colorful flower dust seemed to get on everything I laid on the table. Another sweet reminder! You gotta love how our Jesus moves in the heart. When I am aware of all that He has filled me with it my joy is contagious. His love spreads to others. It flows everywhere. Simply by one action another is created. On this special day, a lot of love was created and illuminated the hearts of a Nanny and a granddaughter. 

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...