Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Discerning The Voice Of God by Priscilla Shirer

Wow! What an amazing journey I have taken with Priscilla. Yes, I feel as though we have sat down for an afternoon of coffee and simply shared Jesus. I can tell you that the Spirit is alive within these pages. I don't know where I have been, but Priscilla Shirer is new to me. Truly an unforgettable woman of God. She is inspiring as she shares how to discern the voice of God. I want to start out and share just a few of the things I underlined. I wish I had space to share more, but then, you simply need to read her book! 

"Here's the blessed fallout of living by this "right now" perspective: If you truly believe that God will speak to you in the appropriate time and place, you should never feel hurried or pressured about making a decision. If you're not clear about something, stay put. Don't move. Only when God has spoken will you be cued to respond in obedience."

"Bottom line, you have everything you need from Him at this moment. Otherwise, He'd have already given you more. So until God makes His next message clear to you-at the exact right moment, in His perfect knowledge and timing-here's what you should do; whatever He's told you to be doing right now. Doing this assures you that you are in God's will for your life."

"But the Holy Spirit doesn't give us all His directions upfront and then leave us alone to sort everything out. Rather, He can be trusted to tell us everything we need to know for now, and then to continually update His instructions as we step out in faith and obedience."

"God is no longer in the business of revealing new doctrine. The canon of Scripture is closed. Yet because the Book is alive, it applies anew and fresh to us in every generation."

"Satan's goal is to keep you in the cocoon-weak, effortless, lazy. He would not ask you to struggle out, and he certainly doesn't want you to experience the fullness of God's power. Your ego, likewise, would not ask you to do anything that might cause you embarrassment or a blow to your self-image. Fear will present an option that keeps you protected and safe instead of inviting you into the risky unknowns of God's will."

"When discerning the voice of God, expect Him to be persistent."

This is when I knew I had a magnificent book in my hands!! I knew the Lord was speaking straight to my heart. 

"Really listening in prayer requires getting yourself on a whole other wavelength. You must control your body's urge to get up and move around. You must fight to keep your mind from wandering, from letting stray thoughts dictate what you choose to dwell on. You must keep your eyes from scanning the room and noticing things you need to take care of-things you'd like to get busy accomplishing right now while your thinking of it!"

And right here is where it got even better for me~!

"By letting a thousand interruptions barge in, demanding to be accommodated, we only succeed in setting ourselves up for compromise and confusion. The Enemy wins a victory every time we let our jam-packed schedules invade the sanctuary of our quiet time with God. And when we allow it to happen, we set a precedent that the rest of our lives seem to end up following. See if this sounds familiar...In the stillness of morning, I begin my quiet time-to those moments I purposely set aside for Bible reading, prayer, meditation, listening-and I lean my elbows on heaven's windowsill, eager to commune with the Lord. But first, to satisfy my curiosity, I check to see if I've gotten any new e-mails since last night. When I finally come back, I'm a little more distracted, a little less focused and clearheaded. Suddenly the phone rings. Caller ID beckons my eyes, and I feel compelled to pick up the receiver. The anticipation is too much. I answer it. Oh, never mind, I'll just have my quiet time before I go to bed tonight." 

I cannot say enough about this book. It was as though it was written just for me. I walk away with a clearer mind and a steadfast attitude for putting God first. To walk with Him means that I too must give Him time to speak to my heart. I must dive in His Word and allow Him to search my heart. 

Friends, this would make a great study just one on one with the Lord or as a small group study. Either way, get ready, because He is going to speak loud and clear!! This is a wondrous study that will bring you closer to understanding how we can hear the voice of God. 

This book was a gift from Moody Publishing for sharing my review with you. 

Priscilla Shirer is an internationally recognized Bible teacher who focuses her ministry on the expository teaching of the Word of God to women. She desires to see women both understand the uncompromising truths of Scripture and intellectually and experience them practically. Priscilla is the author of A Jewel in His Crown, and We Are Changed, and He Speaks To Me. She is also an accomplished vocalist. Priscilla and her husband, Jerry, are the founders of Going Beyond Ministries and live in Dallas, Texas, with their three sons.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...