Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Sentinels of Andersonville by Tracy Groot

The Sentinels of Andersonville is extraordinary. I was fascinated, intrigued, and appalled. With great sadness I must admit I had not heard of this prison in Georgia. I received this book and shared with my husband about my great anticipation to begin reading it. Of course, he knew of Andersonville, and shared a great interest in reading the book when I was finished with my review. As a history lover I found this book to be so rich in history. 

Tracy Groot is a new author for me. Her writing is profound and gets in your gut. This isn't one of those romance novels that is gushy. It is faith bound, but wrapped in exquisite story-telling that is top rate. These characters were easy to fall in love with. I wanted to stand with them and fight this monstrosity of horror that lie in wait for these men of this prison. The war was horrific enough, but to put these valiant   men through more is just too much. This was father fighting son, brother fighting brother, neighbor against neighbor, all fighting for what they thought was right and honorable. 

As we meet the characters within these pages we meet people who if helped would be charged with treason. Thousands of men died here. Many died from the appalling neglect and ignorance of humanity. This is a book that went to my core. For some this may not be an easy read. For the history lovers, you will absorb these pages and long for more.  

As I began reading I simply couldn't read fast enough. My heart wrenched for those in Andersonville and for those willing to step out and make a difference. This is definitely an award winner for me. One that could easily be on the big screen. This is a finely written story and as you will see, Tracy did her homework and gives us a clear and stunning portrayal of the days during Andersonville. 

This book was a gift from Tyndale for sharing my review with you. 

Tracy Groot is the author of several critically acclaimed novels, including Madman and Flame of Resistance-both Christy Award winners. She and her husband have three boys and together run a coffee shop in Holland, Michigan. Visit her website at www.tracygroot.com 


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...