Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Who's Leading Your Dance?

Dancing is a gift. My grandchildren love to dance. They hear the beat of music and they begin swaying. The head starts to bob. The feet begin to tap. The knees start the up and down motion that seems to connect with the music. The hands come together and you join in with laughter. Dance is contagious. There is joy in dance. It carries a beauty in motion. Each step brings you to the next and together they are connected as if it's all one movement in time.

As the music plays your ready to soar. It's almost as though it takes us to another time and place. All is perfect. Peace has found your heart. The rhythm has moved beyond your feet and touched your God spot within your heart. The heart is lighter. A smile forms that lights up the room.

When I was little I was the proud owner of a jewelry box that played music as the ballerina moved in circles. I remember lifting the lid just to hear the tune as I twirled in circles in time with her. I would watch her for what seemed hours.

I remember as a child standing on my dad's feet, placing my hand in his, as he led us across the floor. Even then I was captivated by dance. My heart felt giddy inside and all seemed right as I was in my dad's arms.

As I got older I grew to love ballet. I never took lessons, but I learned the dance on my own. I would close my bedroom door and practice for hours. Through that dance I felt a peace that I felt at no other time. It was if my heart came alive with a new beat that held purpose and passion. That is something I don't think I've ever shared with anyone, until now.

There are times today I seem to dance to my own tune. I let my own feet do the leading and that's where I end up in heartache. It's kind of like dancing in the wrong shoes. It's hard to stay in beat when all around you is shifting. It's easy to get off balance and teeter. Soon your no longer on your feet, but on the floor, wondering what step got you there. As long as we remain focused on the One who has called us to dance, He will guide us gently through all that tries to distract us from the beauty of the dance.

I am no longer dancing with my daddy. No longer standing on his feet or on the tops of my tippy toes trying to match his step. One day. One day heaven will hold a dance for us. Until then I will be dancing with my Heavenly Father.

Our Savior has saved a dance just for us. He is waiting to take our hand in His. He wants us to dance to His rhythm. He is wanting us to count the beats and measure each step before we take it. He wants us to learn the dance He has created just for us. There is a trust in taking His hand. There is a hope in His leading. There is a quiet strength that renews our spirit. There is nothing quite like dancing with Jesus.

It's almost as though I am learning to dance all over again. Not by my own beat, but remaining in step with Christ, allowing Him to do the leading. I can honestly tell you, it's the best dance so far. When I get out of step, He just gently takes my hand  back in His and leads me even closer.

Just imagine arriving at the ball of your dreams. You are wearing the most beautiful gown, created just for you. No glass slipper is falling off your feet tonight. The music is playing and there is no time limit. Just sheer joy awaiting you. Jesus takes your hand and says, "I'm so glad you decided to join Me". You begin to move as He leads. A heavenly waltz is playing just for you.

This is what it's like when we dance with Jesus.

"There is an occasion for everything, and a time for every activity under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

"A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance." Ecclesiastes 3:4

"Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns. See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way." Psalm 139:23-24

"Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God. May Your gracious Spirit lead me on level ground." Psalm 143:10

"This God, our God forever and ever-He will lead us eternally." Psalm 48:14

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...