Tuesday, March 13, 2012

River's Call by Melody Carlson

I just closed the last page to, "River's Call" by Melody Carlson. I was captivated by this book. I was blessed to read the first book in the series, "The Inn At Shining Waters", entitled, "River's Song".

In this newest addition we find ourselves in the 1960s. I had to continue to remind myself of the time period. Things were so different then. I loved the relationship trials and blessings of mother-daughter, daughter-grandmother and grandmother-daughter in law. Generations of women struggling. There is something that hasn't changed in time.

Anna has to the sweetest of all characters I have ever read about. Her first husband has died and she still battles and allows her mother in law into her life and her daughter's life. I wanted to scream at her and say, "Why don't you just tell her to leave?" But she still feels connected to this woman. She isn't one to give up on anyone and after reading more of the story I found that to be a wonderful character trait.

I love the connection she has with her new mother in law. One that I sadly miss. Anna is devoted to her husband and seems to have it all together even though battles are going on around her. That kind of peace can only come from God. Although I can clearly see a peace in her heart, I see her battles within and asking herself, "Did I do enough?" The question every mother asks herself. Every day is a journey for Anna. A journey closer to understanding who she is and the strengths she carries.

While reading this book it opens our eyes up to the trials between mothers and daughters. The battles, the blessings, and all that reap from our choices. Choices that seem to touch all generations. This book is filled with grace and forgiveness. We too experience the importance of friendship.

You feel a calmness come over you as you have this great portrait of a river inn who welcomes all with grace and hospitality. A perfect picture of the love of Christ.

This was a lovely read to a time passed, but a message that is timeless.

This book was a gift from Glass Road Publications for it's review. This book is published by Abingdon Press.

Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of more than 200 books, including Love Finds You in Sisters, Oregon, Limelight, the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the True Colors series, and the Carter House Girls series. Nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award, Melody is also the author of Homeward, which won a Rita Award. Melody and her husband live in central Oregon.


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...