Skip to main content

THURSDAY'S TREASURE with guest writer SHONA NEFF

THE GIFT OF LOVE
written by
Shona Neff


Stepping out onto the sidewalk the black eye forming on my son’s face hit me as it if was my own. A group of thugs, not present before I stepped into the ladies room, now lined the cinder-block building. Although the specifics were hidden, it was no secret that a brawl had taken place in my absence -- my son bore the unfortunate sign of going solo in the midst of the prowling gang.

As we walked away, I looked over my shoulder and hurled a few scathing words at the hoodlums making it clear that their brutal act had not gone unnoticed. As I woke from the horrific dream, the momma bear in me was aching to go hand-to-hand with those punks even though they were just players in a dream.

Thugs are everywhere: dreams, streets, public places, and stores. We don’t expect to encounter them in homes, churches, and safe places, but not all bad people hit with their fists. Sometimes they batter their prey with words and attitudes forgetting all semblances of love. As much as I hate to admit it, I’ve been an unloving thug on occasion.

So what do these brutes look like when inhabiting supposedly safe places? They can look like you and me, but toxic words and attitudes often bubble just beneath the surface of seemingly harmless appearances.

Many cruel and loveless acts are performed at the hands of church people. Most of us have heard stories of down-and-out people seeking refuge in a Sunday morning service only to be scoffed at because their clothes were dirty or torn. Maybe they smelled. After rejection at the hands of the world, the same piercing sting came from people who should have embraced them. It may not be a black eye, but neither is it a display of loving behavior.

I hate to admit it, but I’ve played the thug in my own home. As a mother and wife, I have spewed ugly words with the intent to hurt. Immature children sling verbal poison at times. And, although we shouldn’t, sometimes we moms answer back with our own cutting words. At least I have. I’ve done the same thing with my husband. We love each other, but all play the thug at times.

When the dust settles on the non-physical brawls of unkind words and attitudes, it is good to act on the forgiveness that Jesus teaches. Seeking forgiveness is the best way to put thuggish behavior to rest while, at the same time, healing the ugliness that spills onto others. Only then does love flow freely.

We all have the potential to act like thugs. Self-centered behavior that demands our own way is a great place to start. Forcing others to accept our beliefs helps us speed down the “Boulevard of Unloving Acts.” Even when we believe we are supported by truth, it is never right to tell others what to do or hit them over the head with self-righteous attitudes. Our job is to love others; God takes care of the rest.

As we enter the Christmas the season, let us show good will toward ALL men. For those who look different from us, those whose attitude do not match ours, and even those who are actual thugs . . . let us show them the love that descended from heaven, manifest as a babe in a manger. God’s love breaks through the hearts and minds of all men, women, children, and, yes, thugs. Instead of leaving a wake of black eyes, let us open our arms and give the gift of love.

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also outght to love one another. No one  has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."
(1 John 4:10-12 NIV).




Shona Neff loves to ponder the things of God. Whether it is an odd dream, as in this post, or life in general, she looks for godly parallels in all things.


She is a personality mechanic who helps others keep relationships running smooth. Visit her at www.shonaneff.com and start building your personality tool box so you can better understand and interact with your family and friends.


Shona lives in northern New Mexico with her husband and trio of terriers. She has two college-age sons.


 
Shona, thank you sweet friend, for sharing such a powerful message with us today. It is a pain that many feel. A deep hurt that we secretly carry and one that most do not dare to share. It is often said, "Hurt people, hurt people." That is so very true. Our words carry such power. May this be a reminder to us to speak with love, to act in love and to live in love.
 
Blessings to you, Shona. I pray you will return as a guest writer and share with us again soon.

Comments

Shona Neff said…
Just in case anyone reads this, I chuckled as I read my words. About mid-point in the article I use the term "bad people". Probably not the best phrase to get my point across. the meaning behind that probably would have been better expressed by using "imperfect". I don't think the people I'm talking about here are "bad", but rather imperfect.

I hope I didn't offend anyone and prevent the intended message from being delivered :)

Shona
Robin Prater said…
Shona, thank you for sharing with me and my readers today. What a blessed message.

I think everyone who reads will understand your words exactly. When we think of thugs we think of bad people, but you and I are those people acting badly at times. Makes total sense to me.

You are a rich blessing! Thank you!
Kelley said…
Wonderful post, Shona. I read a similar one just the other day by a friend who talked about how her hurtful words deflated her husband. I know I've done my share of that. :(

Shona, your post also makes me think of one of my daughter's best friends, who has been hurt by the church. It's a long story, and some of the pain she brought on herself by the choices she made. I know I've been hurt by the church at times, sometimes deserved, but not always, and it's left me with plenty of bruises. Anyway, I was just reading an excerpt of Ravi Zacharias's book "Has Christianity Failed You?" and wow, I'm thinking I might have to buy that book for my daughter's friend. I didn't want to stop reading!

What I pray is that we can look past the hurtful people and focus on Christ.
Shona Neff said…
Kelley, it's unfortunate that hurt people often look at Christ through the lenses of our imperfections and bad actions and words. IT happens, but hopefully they won't stop seeking just on the basis of the a few of our ungracious moments.
Robin Prater said…
Wow, you girls are sharing such valuable information. I too have been hurt by people at church and it can be so very hard to look past, but if we don't choose to forgive and look past it, then it becomes a bristle pad that continues rub us the wrong way until our heart is raw.

Love you ladies so much!
Sunny Shell said…
Hello sweet Shona!

Ha, ha, ha... I didn't even remember reading "bad people", so I had to go back and find it! :D

I got your message. :) It was good. It is true.♥

The only thing I wanted to add is this: "Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy." ~Proverbs 27:5-6 (ESV)

Sometimes (like when I'm in sin), I need a friend to love me enough to "wound" me with the truth. It hurts (all discipline does [Heb 12:11]), but we are promised by God that all who receive it, WILL bear the peaceful fruit of righteousness. :)

Sure appreciate you writing this piece Shona!♥
Elizabeth said…
S , thanks for writing this beautiful and important piece. I was hit by a thug this week , then I became the thug in return. Still hurting from it too. I had to calm my heart and mind and go over how the Lord would have preferred I treat this person so dear to me. And to forgive , just as He has forgiven me.

( And , by the way , I didn't notice either , the comment about bad people. I think it was very clear what you meant. )
Love ,E
Shona, I love this! You are so gifted! I will pass this along during this Christmas season! It's just the reminder we need to be Jesus to others!

Love and Blessings during the special time of year!

Dianne

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron

I want to begin this review sharing two reviews I was blessed to do. The Butterfly and The Violinand A Sparrow in Terezin. For me these two novels were masterpieces. Works of such exquisite beauty. They showed that Kristy Cambron is gifted with the pen, a master storyteller. They remain two of my all-time top favorites. 
It was for this reason I was thrilled to be receiving a copy of The Illusionist's Apprentice. Once again Cambron shows us a masterpiece of bringing a story to readers that speaks of faith and our Lord. Although throughout the novel these aspects are not boldly proclaimed, but are masterfully weaved throughout the story. 
Magic and illusion are not the same. I love how she brings this truth. Love that the main character was an apprentice to the master of illusion. She takes the use of being an apprentice and walks that road with integrity and hope. When we choose to walk with Christ we are His apprentices. We are to walk as the main character, Wren Lockhart walked…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…