Skip to main content

THURSDAY'S TREASURE with guest writer MARIA MORGAN

The Promise Keeper
By
Maria Morgan


Childhood memories. Along with the pleasant recollections, I do remember getting in trouble on occasion. One time I got caught doing something I wasn't supposed to. Boy was I sorry. I reassured my parents I wouldn't do it again, and promised them, "I'll be good!" I think I repeated that phrase over and over in hopes that I could lighten my punishment. I received a well-deserved spanking in spite of my promises.


My guess is that I stayed out of trouble for awhile - the stinging repercussions of my behavior serving as inspiration to do what I was told. But more than likely, given the passage of time and the right temptation, I'm sure I broke my heartfelt promise to be 'good.'


Fact is, all of us humans struggle to keep our promises. Oh, we have good intentions, but when circumstances change, we justify breaking our word. Remember Pharaoh in the book of Exodus? He and his people experienced horrific plagues that caused severe damage. Over and over he pleaded with Moses to call on God to remove each plague. He assured Moses that he'd let the Israelites go to sacrifice to their God, if the plague was eliminated.


Pharaoh was desperate, yet his response was the same every time each plague was removed, "But when Pharaoh saw that there was respite, he hardened his heart, and hearkened not unto them (Moses and Aaron); as the Lord had said," (Exodus 8:15; KJV; words in italics mine). He promised to let the Israelites go if the plagues disappeared, but when there was relief, he went back on his word every time. The last plague, death of every firstborn, finally convinced Pharaoh to let the people of Israel go. But not for long...


As the Israelites fled from the land of Egypt, Pharaoh and his army realized what they had done - let their entire workforce leave. You guessed it! Pharaoh goes back on his word one last time, "...Why have we done this, that we have let Israel go from serving us? And he made ready his chariot, and took his people with him," (Exodus 14:5b-6).


But God wasn't caught by surprise. The wonderful truth is that the God of the Bible is able to keep every promise He's ever made. God instructs Moses to encourage the Israelites, "Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will show to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen today, ye shall see them again no more for ever. The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace," (Exodus 14: 13-14). The Israelites walked through the Red Sea on dry ground. When the Egyptians began to pursue them, the water the Lord had parted crashed down on the army, leaving no survivors.


The God who kept His promises way back in the days of Moses, still keeps His promises today. He promises to forgive my sins (1 John 1:9), to be with me (Hebrews 13:5), to meet all of my needs (Philippians 4:19), to finish the work He's begun in me (Philippians 1:6). To name just a few of His amazing promises. "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever," (Hebrews 13:8). Know that what He promises, He'll deliver. You have His word on it!


Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding me of Your faithfulness. You always keep Your promises. Forgive me when I break my word. Help me to take refuge and find encouragement in the promises You lay out in Your Word. In Jesus' name, Amen.



Maria I. Morgan is an inspirational/devotional writer, whose passion is to share the truths of God’s Word with today’s generation. She is a regular contributor to Around About Cumming, Cumming Patch, and Living by Grace. You can visit her on the web Tuesdays and Thursdays for a life lesson you can relate to (www.mariaimorgan.blogspot.com). Maria lives in Georgia with her husband, Steve, daughter, Riley, their two dogs and cat.


Maria, thank you for being a guest writer at the Nest. Your words have blessed my heart. Oh, how many times I have filled my chariot with promises only to take off and ride that same path of forgetfulness when it came to doing what I wanted to do. What a beautiful portrait of God's grace. Thank you for reminding me again today that although I may fall short of my promises, God never will. Blessings to you:)


Comments

Maria I. Morgan said…
Thanks so much for the opportunity to guest post on your beautiful blog, Robin! I'll pop by several times today to interact with anyone who leaves a comment! Hugs and blessings to you!
Marja Meijers said…
Hey girls, thanks for posting a message of hope! God's promises are yes and amen in Jesus Christ!
Have a great day, enjoy!
Ahhh, yes! The promise of "I won't ever do that again."

Isn't it fun to connect with others and know how we all go through the same "stuff??"
Robin Prater said…
Maria, you are a blessing:)You shared a wonderful message of hope. One that we all need. It was a great encouragement!

Thank you ladies for popping in today. I am so honored you have stopped in at my blog. I hope you will return:)

Blessings to you all, Robin
Maria I. Morgan said…
Marja - Thanks for stopping over. You're an encouragement! Have a beautiful day, my friend!

Cheryl - Your comment is so true! All of us live in this human flesh - none of our struggles are new...Thanks for the reminder!

Robin - God is so good to allow us to partner with Him to share His truth, isn't He?! What a blessing to be here today! :)
Rahul Bhatia said…
Such a lovely post! We keep doing it over n over again, and keep promising 'not to do it again'!

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Of Stillness and Storm by Michele Phoenix

This is my first novel read by Michele Phoenix. I love the premise of this novel and all that she opened my eyes to. We always hear of the 'calling' by missionaries. We want to go where God calls us. We want to make a difference. 
To be called by God isn't the same for every soul. We all fit differently into His plan. Our walk with Him isn't ALL we do for His name, but our relationship with Him, our intimate journey with our Savior. 
This novel is raw and transparent. For me, it was the journey of Lauren. We see that her husband feels called to work in Nepal and with the people, but we really don't read about much of his personal journey. 
Their son, Ryan, is struggling. We can see through the conversations he has with his parents that he is truly unhappy. We see the fall, but we don't really get a close glimpse into his heart. 
It is with Lauren that we journey. She feels alone and lost. Through her words we can 'feel' the pain in her heart. She is br…