Friday, March 11, 2011

LETS CHAT FRIDAY with SANDRA ALDRICH

Sandra Aldrich is one of those ladies who not only stands out, but is a leading example on how to live for Christ. She is setting out to give honor and glory to God through each moment of her life. You won't find her wasting any time. She is out there involved with a passion to bring others to know the Savior she knows well.

It is an honor to have her here at the Nest. You can find her at her website, BOLD WORDS, where you can see all that Sandra is doing, or you can go to,WOMEN INSPIRED , and see her along with a group of gifted women reaching out to a lost world one call at a time. If you are a Face Book fan, you can even find her there. You too can check out her latest book, BLESS YOUR SOCKS OFF. See, I told you she is everywhere!! Okay, this women has written eighteen books. Eighteen! That is lots of wisdom to share from a woman who has faced loss and adversity. But praise the Lord her story doesn't end there. Her story is being penned by our Savior, Jesus Christ. Her life speaks of overcoming. Her life speaks of finding strength in God. This is where the wisdom gets really good. We can see from Sandra's life just how powerful prayer is and  the impact loving prayers of others has not only on her life, but ours as well. Isn't wonderful to see God's plan unfold before our eyes? He has a plan for each of us. Jer 29:11 It is that mighty act of prayer, that belief and trust in the Lord that sets us free from the pit of despair and brings us to a peace we never knew possible.

It is my hope that you are blessed today by Sandra. Maybe you will get to know her a little better and find out a few things you didn't know. One thing is for sure. You will totally love her. So, sit back, get cozy and grab that big cup of coffee. You are in for a special Friday blessing!


(Robin) Please tell us a little about yourself.
(Sandra) Short version: Daughter of the Eternal King who longs to make a difference because of the shed blood of Jesus.

Longer version: Born in Southeastern Kentucky and grateful for my Appalachian background. Grew up in Chelsea, Michigan and had to overcome issues because of area’s dislike of Southerners. Educated at Eastern Michigan University. Taught public high school for 15 years. Master’s Degree in literature and communications and advanced degree in the School of Hard Knocks. Widowed by brain cancer when son was 10 and daughter 8. Changed career to editing, including senior editor at Focus on the Family magazine. Presently president of Bold Words, Inc., which allows me to write and speak. It’s a hoot folks pay me just to talk. After all, I’ve had bosses who wanted to pay me to be quiet.



(Robin) I would love for you to share your testimony
(Sandra) Growing up, I had a praying mother and grandparents--my dad came to the Lord much later—so I became a Christian in childhood. That early decision kept me from many bad choices. I met my husband at a college Bible study. After graduation, we taught high school, had two children and planned the perfect life. Then brain cancer swooped in and claimed my funny Scotsman. Early in widowhood, I claimed Isaiah 54:5—“For your Maker is your Husband. The Lord Almighty is His name. . . .” and leaned on Him for every decision. I’ve learned God is good—even when tears are running down our cheeks. And we do not pray to air.



(Robin) In your journey as a woman what has been the most challenging?
(Sandra) Raising two young children alone. But today both are college educated, happily married and gainfully employed. Despite what the media told me about single parenting, I did not raise ax murders.




(Robin) Can you share with us how you came to be in the ministry?
(Sandra) Just when did you hear God calling? All Christians are in ministry—whether they are preaching, waiting tables, teaching, driving trucks, changing diapers or doing other meaningful work. My calling for this stage of life happens to be speaking and writing—a natural result of my being born into a story-telling family and my years of teaching. When God calls us, He reshapes our life experiences for His use.




(Robin) I believe a mistake is only a mistake is we cannot walk away with a greater wisdom. Has there been a time in your life where struggle occurred from a poor decision and if so, how did you overcome?
(Sandra) At my age, of course I can remember times when I wish I’d made better decisions. But the greatest frustrations came when I thought I was following God’s leading but the results weren’t what I wanted, hoped for, prayed for. During those times, we truly have to walk by faith and not by sight.



(Robin) How do you define success?
(Sandra) Doing what God has created us to do.



(Robin) Looking back, what advice would you give to yourself at the age of eighteen to prepare you for life ahead?
(Sandra) Grab today’s joy. Don’t hang happiness on the “whens” of life: “When I finish college, when I get married, when I have children.” Know who you are in the Lord. Don’t listen to the folks who demand impossible perfection. See yourself as He sees you. Also, develop enjoyable exercise habits. The advanced years will appear sooner than you can imagine and being able to move without thinking about it is something to be treasured.



(Robin) With a new year beginning what do you hope to accomplish this year?
(Sandra) Professionally: Finish my 19th book and first novel. Personally: Spend more time outside and away from my desk. And in all areas, be aware of God’s Presence.




(Robin) What encouraging words would you give to someone encountering loss?
(Sandra) My Kentucky grandmother used to say, “There are some things in life that all you can do with ‘em is bear ‘em.” To that I would add “And we bear them best by hanging onto the Lord.” Sadly, we usually don’t have a choice about the tough situations life hands us. But we do have a choice about how we will face them.



(Robin) My pastor says, "If the Lord has done something for you the least you can do is say so." Dear friend, what is the Lord doing in your life?
(Sandra) He keeps opening doors for me to serve Him. My job is to keep going through them.




(Robin) What empowering advice would you give to someone facing adversity?
(Sandra) Keep hanging onto the Lord and keep putting one foot in front of the other. As I ponder biblical miracles, I am aware of how often the person needing help is asked to participate in the solution: “Stretch out your hand,” “Roll away the stone,” “Take up your mat and walk.” Thus, even as we ask for Divine help, we must keep showing up each day and keep making good choices.



(Robin) As women we wear many hats. We can feel at times we are juggling with one hand. How do you do it all? Where do you begin and what do you let go?
(Sandra) I’ve finally learned I can’t do it all—at least not all at once. So I practice the John 5 Principle: When Jesus went to the Pool of Five Porches, He went to the ONE man to whom He was sent. Most of us would think we were failures if we didn’t heal everybody there. Jesus is our example. He wasn’t sent to do everything. He was sent to accomplish His Father’s will. And He often withdrew from the crowds to pray. Sadly, we are prone to cross off items on our daily to-do list and give our heavenly Father the pitiful amount of remaining time.



(Robin) Could you share some advice on how we can have a successful marriage? Be a successful mother and friend?
(Sandra) Marriage: Be kind to one another. Don’t expect/demand perfection. Cut the other person some slack. Motherhood: Children grow up faster than we think. Thus, have fun as you enjoy today’s simple pleasures. Friendship: Being a good friend takes time and energy—and teamwork.



(Robin) In your legacy what do you hope to leave behind?
(Sandra) I want folks to smile when they think of me. I want them to remember my love for the Lord, my sense of humor and my zany stories. And I want my family to know how much I loved them.



Sandra, thank you for taking time to share with us. I love your short version of who you are. A daughter of the King! In Him we can find all of who we are. That is a great and mighty love He has for us. I pray you are blessed as you are blessing those around you daily with your big heart and beautiful smile filled with grace. Jesus looks good on you my friend. I hope you will come back soon and share even more with us as we seek daily for that ultimate walk with Jesus.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...