Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Driving through the rain

Yesterday as I gathered my things to leave the house I noticed it was beginning to sprinkle. The sun was not shining and the wind was cold on my skin. As I drove further down our country road the rains began to pour. I turn on the wiper blade only to see I have half of one before me. The other side was being wiped clean, but before me my vision was blocked by the rain that kept pounding.

I thought it was to be a warm day. I even dressed as though it would be. It was a day I was determined to wear my flip flops. It was already too late for me to change once I faced the door to leave. I was going to feel the cold and wind even more so. I was unprepared for the rains. I didn't see them in the forecast for that day.

"Enter into the gates with thanksgiving, and into the courts with praise." Psalm 100:4

Isn't that how life is though? We prepare for one thing and then another touches our day with rain? Rain that was unexpected, but is here none the less. Can we change the rain? Nope. Do we always get to change how it touches us? Nope. We can however change our attitude and see what is before us as a challenge. Now, I must say, driving with a half of wiper blade was quite the challenge. I am scooting over trying to see clearly, but all I can see is through one small part of the windshield. Just as in life. We can't always see what's up ahead. We don't have God's view on everything, but He gives us glimpses. We don't have to live unprepared. We can be prepared for whatever comes our way by being in His Word. My soaking ourselves in His promises and basking in His truths.

What can be made clear with a new blade? Everything! Just as after the rains, what appears out of no where? Something unexpected, but holds beauty to our eye? A rainbow. A promise. A hope. If we are not careful we miss each color vibrantly cascading. Each color seems to blend in the next making a new color. As the clouds may appear, the sun is also shining. Driving in the country with trees covering where farmland ends you see a glimpse of the sun coming through the clouds. Sometimes it seems to follow you. Others, it feels as though you are chasing it. Sometimes we are on the bright side of the moon as it glimmers through the night and others clouds are blocking it. Whether we can it or not it still hangs by the Word of a God who created it to be.

I made it to my destination. Just maybe God wanted me to have a new view. Maybe He didn't want me to see the same, but to open my vision to something new. Something different. The rains may have poured all day, but with my new vision I saw the rainbow. I saw the hope He gave in the day before me. I saw His grace shining before each step I was to take. Change is good. It makes us look at things different. It makes us see in a way we never have before. I am thankful for that half of blade that was missing. It just made it possible for me to see God's grace in a new way in a new day.

"Let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were created in one body; and be thankful." Colossians 3:15

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...