Friday, December 17, 2010

LETS CHAT FRIDAY with Lynn Dove

 I am so excited to have Lynn join us. She made me laugh right off the bat. I love a woman who can simply just be herself in the midst of a world trying so hard to be someone other than themselves.  Don't you love learning about others? It not only gives us insight about what is important to them, but it also gives us a chance to learn from all they have overcome. Lynn is open to speak about herself and her trials.  She doesn't take herself too seriously and she is forever an encourager, reaching out to others. She makes it easy for others to approach her and I really like that. I think you might learn a few things about Lynn you didn't know before. Lynn also has a passion to stop bullying and bring light to this tragic offense that reaches so many. She is on a mission writing to bring healing to the hurting.  I must say, this is one of my favorite interviews. I love it when women simply share, one heart to another, without fear of judgement or persecution. Lynn has overcome obstacles I have never faced. I will take away much wisdom from Lynn and I am so thankful I had the pleasure of interviewing her. It is an honor to have such a wonderful lady or should I say a dove be a guest at my nest. Sit back my friends and enjoy.

(Robin) Tell us a little about yourself, Lynn.
(Lynn) A little bit about me: First I think it is pretty cool for a Dove to be interviewed in the Robin’s Nest. Tweaked my funny bone today! I am a Christ-follower, a wife, a mom, a soon-to-be grandmother, a teacher and a writer (in that order). It helps if I prioritize my “hats” that I wear everyday or else I can get caught up focusing on one thing and then neglecting the other important roles in my life. I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. He is my first love. I married my best friend, Charles in 1979. We have three amazing children: Laurelle (husband Matt) are expecting our first grand baby in February, and we have our two live-at-home teenagers, Brett and Carmen. I have been a teacher most of my adult life, and I still substitute from time to time at the private Christian school my teenagers attend. I love volunteering and working closely with the youth in our church as well. Lastly, when I’m not writing, I’m reading. I love to blog and when I’m not blogging, I’m working on my next book.




(Robin) Since you have walked with the Lord has there been a time where you have struggled in your faith? 
(Lynn) I think everyone at some point or another has struggled in their faith walk. There are ebbs and flows in our lives and times of great spiritual drought sometimes followed by bountiful harvest. Certainly when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2001, I questioned “Why me, Lord?” And His answer to me was, “Why NOT you?” I realized that I had arrogantly assumed that because I was a Christ follower that I would not have that kind of hardship befall me. It was a HUGE life lesson in learning the compassion and the love that the Father has for me and that His plan is always perfect. I would never have experienced the Father as intimately and profoundly as I did without my journeying with Him through cancer.



(Robin) Has there been an "aha" moment in your life that has changed your perspective?
(Lynn) “Aha moments?” Hmmmm. I think every day has the potential to have an “Aha moment” in it if we just open our eyes and ears to the Father. I am reminded daily by a sweet friend who just moved to Alberta that we live in one of the most beautiful and picturesque places on earth. I tend to grumble and complain about our frigid winters. The other day it was -41 C ! It doesn’t get that cold very often but when it does, I am bemoaning the fact I live here and I forget that God placed us here for His purposes. Everything is new and exciting for my friend and as I start to see life through her eyes my perspective changes and I am reminded of God’s love for us…even on those c…c…c…cold days!!



(Robin) Do you have a favorite bible story, hymn or verse that brings encouragement through times of struggle? 
(Lynn)  My husband, Charles and I have claimed this life verse: “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 Through our nearly 32 years of marriage, this verse has sustained us through all the ups and downs of life knowing we may make our plans but God is always in control… AND He allows U-turns!



(Robin) What is one thing you look for in a close friend and what is one quality you hope they see in you?
(Lynn) The one quality I look for in a close friend is a listening ear and a caring heart.


(Robin) What are a few of your favorite books you have in your collection that you would share with a friend?
(Lynn)  Well, my favorite authors are Lucy Maude Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables) and Janette Oke (Love Come Softly Series). They are Canadian authors and so being Canadian, I naturally gravitate to books written by Canadians. That said, I just recently finished reading Carol Kent’s book: Between a Rock and a Grace Place and I have been so blessed by the poignant message of hope in the midst of struggle. Another book that I read is Max Lucado’s: Outlive Your Life. What an incredibly encouraging message! In the fiction department, I interviewed Francine Rivers on my blog recently and I read and reviewed her latest books: Her Mother’s Hope, and Her Daughter’s Dream. I am currently reading Suzanne Wood’s Fishers’ books: The Choice and The Waiting.


(Robin) When life seems to go crazy, what is one thing that seems to bring you comfort and  peace? (Lynn) When life seems to go crazy,…whew…when doesn’t life go crazy? I think it is part and parcel of being a wife, a mom and soon-to-be grandma. When we feel life pressures start to weigh us down, my husband and I like to take long drives to the mountains. It is such a blessing that we live only forty-five minutes away from the Rockies that we can surround ourselves with God’s creation and feel renewed and revitalized.


(Robin) What is one thing about yourself you admire?
(Lynn)  The one thing I admire about myself is my ability to not take myself too seriously. I laugh a lot. My kids laugh a lot at me. There is a lot of laughter in our home. Sometimes all we need to do is just laugh out loud!



(Robin) What are a few of the things you love surrounding you?
(Lynn) I’m not exactly sure what you’re looking for here, but the things I love (other than my family, church family and friends) is the view of the mountains from my home, my community, music (from good country gospel to Rock and Roll!). I love the snugly cuddles I get from my lap dog, Samson; going camping, traveling to new places, exploring and sightseeing. I love to curl up with a good book, or watch a movie, or watch one of my favorite shows on T.V.


(Robin) What are your deepest passions?
(Lynn)  My deepest passions, other than my relationship with God and my family would be my writing, my books, and cheering on my favorite sports teams!



(Robin) What is the best advice you have ever received?
(Lynn)  The best advice ever given to me was something my husband said before we were married: “Don’t sweat the small stuff,…and….everything is small stuff.” I am a natural worrier. I thought I could blame it on my genes, (parents, heritage etc.) but I don’t think I have that as a legitimate excuse anymore. I worry…needlessly, most of the time. It all comes back to submitting myself over and over to God’s sovereignty and everyday claiming the Proverbs 16:9 verse. God is in control. I still have a tendency to worry but when I feel the worry is controlling me and my actions, then I know I need to release it to God. I am so glad He loves me!


(Robin)  In the legacy you leave, what is one thing you hope outshines all others?
(Lynn)  I would hope that people would see that I had (have) the “joy of the Lord” in my life. It didn’t necessarily mean I did not have challenges but that even in the midst of those challenges, I never failed to live by faith.


(Robin) What are you currently working on?
(Lynn) I am currently working on the third and final book in the “Wounded Trilogy”, Love the Wounded, scheduled for release in 2011. My debut novel, Shoot the Wounded, that is written for young adults and teens was a 2010 Finalist in the Readers Favorite Book Awards. The sequel, Heal the Wounded was just released in October 2010. I am also working on a more autobiographical account of my journey with breast cancer.


(Robin) How do you define success?
(Lynn)  I love the inscription on Ruth Bell Graham’s tombstone: “End of Construction. Thank you for your Patience.” She journeyed with the Father throughout her life and even though there were some road bumps and even a few crashes along the way she still finished well. That’s how I define success.


Lynn, thank you so much for stopping in and sharing with us. Wouldn't you want Lynn for a teacher?  I love the inscription you share on Ruth Bell Graham's tombstone. Praise the Lord, we are a work in progress, but one day to hear the words, "Well done my faithful daughter." I long to hear those words from my Savior. What an inspiration you are. A willing vessel who stands out among others as a light to the world. Thank you for all you give. If you would like to follow all Lynn is doing here are her links below:





I have two more special guests to close out this year. What an awesome, unexpected blessing this has been. I am forever grateful for each and every guest who has stopped in to chat on a Friday. My cup is overflowing.  I am working on new questions and new quests for the new year. My first guest of the year will be a returning friend who I love dearly, Julie Gorman. Julie has faced many changes and will have much to share with a new insight as the Lord continues to bless her and use her in ways she never thought possible. Thank you for stopping in each Friday. I pray you will continue to be blessed in this coming year.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...