Skip to main content

Don't let the sting hold you back (Another post from the past)

\
I don't know about you, but sometimes it is a scary thing to just completely love. Unconditional love means loving without fear. We are afraid of letting go. It is when we let go and release love that we must remember it isn't about us. It is about the other person. It is about allowing Christ to love through us.

I have felt the sting of rejection as of late. It seems I am on the outside looking through a window trying to get a glimpse. The harder I try to see, the foggier the window becomes. The more we try to get in sometimes the door is only open partially. So, what do we do? What do we do with a door open just a bit or a window that clouds quickly? We take that glimpse for however long and rejoice. We peek inside that door and simply say hello. No matter the rejection, we still love completely. It is through that complete love that the door will one day open all the way. Through taking small glimpses and showing Christ like love the window will become more clear and His love penetrates through. Too often we just simply give up. It becomes too hard trying to reach one and it doesn't help with Satan whispering in our ear. Can you hear him? "Your not loved. Your not good enough. You have nothing to offer. Just give up and move on." Oh, his words cut deep and we can find our self drowning in those hurtful words. We begin to believe them. Satan wants to place a wedge between us and those we love. Giving him room only pushes us out of the way more. When we close the door on him, and release our fear of love, is when we can find peace, knowing one day as we will get a great glimpse. We must carry hope within our hearts.

As I sat in my room on Christmas Day the tears didn't stop flowing. I just simply got on my knees and let it all out. Rejection hurts. Being left out hurts. The pain of not being wanted is one that cuts deep. It seems in some cases you are only wanted if you can give something. As I cried out to God for wisdom, He spoke to me. I heard His whisper  write on my heart, "This is how I feel my daughter." See, although my rejection hurts today, Jesus feels it everyday. This whole world rejects Christ daily. He gives, He loves, He serves, He loves unconditionally. He is reaching out as this world turns away. The small amount of pain I feel from a few, He feels from many. He was not only shunned during His ministry, but after giving His life upon the cross, dying, being resurrected, He is still shunned. We find ourselves asking, "How much do I have to give?" Christ gave ALL. Yes, even Christians shun Him. We don't give Him our time. We love with conditions. We look to Him expecting something in return. We want what we want when we want it. If Jesus isn't giving us that, we then turn away seeking it on our own. Every time we disobey. Every time we place something before Him, we shun Him. When we place our fleshly desires above Him, we are shunning the God who gave all. Is it worth it? Is it really worth leaving Him to find it on our own? Is it really love if you only love with conditions? How does this sound, "I will love you as long as you continue to do for me?" It seems we say it more and more. Oh, we don't have to say it with our words, our actions speak louder.


He wants to get a glimpse of our lives. He doesn't want to look through the window, He wants to be in the room. He wants to be in our heart. He doesn't just want a few minutes when we have time. He wants our total attention. He wants to meet with us before anyone else. That should make our day knowing there is One who wants to spend time with us. Ever try to call another and get together? Sometimes that person on the other end says, "Sure, how about today?" But others, well, that is when we feel the sting. We don't hear back from them. We hear from them when they have time. It's almost as though we must make an appointment and then it is cut short because the other doesn't have time. But what happens if you call another and have a great deal to offer? Maybe lunch in the city or a gift waiting? Ah, then the whole picture changes. You know, I am not sure I want to spend time with another if all they are after is something for themselves. Do you think Jesus ever feels that way? We can make Him our personal genie. Asking for all we want, but never quite getting to what He wants for us.

As I felt my tears fall down my cheeks, I thought of heaven's tears. I thought of the times Jesus must simply cry for those who turn away. Once we have been hurt, it is scary to give yourself all over again. We hold back in fear of the unknown. What if I give love and never have it returned? We must not think that way. Jesus shows us how to love. He shows us how to accept. He shows forgiveness. He wrote the book on love. We must love without a list. We must love without expecting. We must give all in love. The thing is, Jesus doesn't hold back. He isn't waiting for things to be perfect. He just wants us to love Him as He loves us. He wants to walk with us and talk with us. If we love with expectations and limitations we make it all about us. That is not love.

As much as it hurts to love sometimes, may we forever remember the love of Christ and how far He was willing to go for love. He shows us what love is and isn't.

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

During my walk with the Lord, He continues to show me, He is enough. His love is enough. So, as I sit before Him I find my heart asking, "Is it really? Do I really believe what I say? He is either enough or He isn't." As long I continue to find my worth and acceptance in others, He is not enough. It's when I totally surrender all, that He is enough. It is when I stop looking to others to complete me and look to Him that I find all I need is right there in my Savior's love.

By holding back we will only miss great opportunities for love. By holding back we not only hurt the other, but we hurt ourselves. When we hold back time escapes us and we might one day find ourselves wishing we would have just taken the chance and loved without fear.

Comments

KELLY W said…
Wonderfully written Robin. There are so many out there (including me) that need to hear those words! Thank you for your talent and thank God for speaking to us through you!
Robin Prater said…
Kelly, you are a blessing. Thank you for your encouraging words. You always fill me with hope. What a God we have. A God who chooses to love us unconditionally!!
Love you sweet lady,
Robin
Stephanie Dawson said…
You always seem to have the right message for me! Thank you for this. It really helped me! I can't thank you and God enough for this message
Robin Prater said…
Steph, thank you. Praise God He gives us what we need just when we need it. Love you sweetheart!!
LissaLou said…
Again you speak from the heart and it touches us all. Love is a difficult yet rewarding thing. Whether it be love towards our child, a spouse, a parent or a friend they all have periods of hurt but on the "b" side there are those moments of complete elation. In the times of hurt, I think if we focus on what is good it lessens the pain. Kinda like a "Pro/Con" list. You are always in my prayers.

Popular posts from this blog

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…

Of Stillness and Storm by Michele Phoenix

This is my first novel read by Michele Phoenix. I love the premise of this novel and all that she opened my eyes to. We always hear of the 'calling' by missionaries. We want to go where God calls us. We want to make a difference. 
To be called by God isn't the same for every soul. We all fit differently into His plan. Our walk with Him isn't ALL we do for His name, but our relationship with Him, our intimate journey with our Savior. 
This novel is raw and transparent. For me, it was the journey of Lauren. We see that her husband feels called to work in Nepal and with the people, but we really don't read about much of his personal journey. 
Their son, Ryan, is struggling. We can see through the conversations he has with his parents that he is truly unhappy. We see the fall, but we don't really get a close glimpse into his heart. 
It is with Lauren that we journey. She feels alone and lost. Through her words we can 'feel' the pain in her heart. She is br…

Saffire by Sigmund Brouwer

The exquisite cover caught my attention. Next was the fact that Sigmund Brouwer was the author. I had read, Thief of Glory, when it was released and just couldn't put it down. I was captivated by this story. So, I was intrigued to see what this new novel held for me. 
We are taken on a journey to the Panama Canal in 1909 in a time when Teddy Roosevelt is president and all is uncertain. Even the life of the main character, James Holt, is uncertain. He knows where he has come from. A fantastic life as a Buffalo Bill cowboy! Now, he has been called by the president to come and do some research for him. Only he isn't so sure what that entails. 
His life grows more exciting by the day. I don't think this character ever has a dull moment. There is so much detail in this story. The history alone is phenomenal. There is a huge history lesson throughout this novel, but in the last pages in the Author's Note there is much insight for the reader to gain about the characters and …