Thursday, December 2, 2010

Daddy, can I come too?

When I was a young girl everywhere my dad went I was stuck in his pocket. I wonder how many times he heard, "Can I come daddy?" I wanted to go everywhere he did. It didn't matter if it was only to the hardware store, I wanted to be with him. We didn't have seat belt laws back then and you could find me standing up in our truck right next to him. Later on, you would find me in the front seat of that old truck on his lap while he let me steer.

My parents were very protective. They didn't let me out of their sight and I always had to hold onto their hand or their back pocket if my mom's arms were full. Now, lets move forward about twenty something years and you would find me shopping with five children. Try holding on to all five at one time when all they want to do is go in the other direction. I remember having Lacey push the cart in front of us. Yes, we were that family with two carts. Dustin and Ashley would stand next to me holding onto to my jeans and Whitney would be in Lacey's cart while Jake would be in mine. Now see how easy that is! Now, as a momma, what is it you hear? "Momma, can I have this? Momma can I have that?" Sometimes you reach down and pick up just what they want, but others you know it isn't something they need, so your answer is no. Not so unlike our heavenly Father.

He has a mighty big cart trying to keep us all gathered together. He tells us, "Hold on tight". But, He has watch over us. He knows our every move like a mother eagle. He watches out for danger and steers us down the right aisle even when we want so badly to travel in another. Oh, we might get lost, but even then, we can hear His sweet voice calling out for us.

Just as I stayed in my daddy's pocket as a child, my Heavenly Father wants me to be even closer. Where He goes, He wants me to follow. Where I go, He is right next to me, never leaving me alone. The only difference I have learned is that I want Him steering the way while I sit next to Him. It took me a long time to give up that steering wheel. Sometimes I forget and I try to take it back, thinking I know the way and an easier route, but He gently removes my hands.

Oh, to be close to our Father is right where we should be. Leaving all else behind and just simply holding on tight to every word. His touch can heal us. His word can bring calm to any situation. His forgiveness gives us a second chance over and over again. We can completely surrender in His grace while He washes us with His mercies. I can't think of anyone I would rather be closer to than Him. I realize now that I could lose everything I have, but I will never lose the love and acceptance of my Father.

Are you struggling today? Is this old world getting you down? Losing your way and trying to keep up? Grab hold of the Lord's pocket and hang on tight. Stay close and He will be that safe keeper. Just open your heart and ask Him, "Daddy, can I come to?" He has been waiting to hear those words from you. Ever cross the street into an unknown land and feel as though you were not alone? That was Him, forever watching His child and never letting you out of His sight. His hand has been on you the whole time. You will find no place safer than the arms of our Savior. Reach out to Him today. You might just find something special in that pocket of His. He has just been waiting for the perfect moment to give you the gift of all gifts.

Romans 8:35-39 "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or peril, or sword? As it is written: For Your sake we are killed all day long; We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...