Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What motivates you?

This morning I need one of those motivational speakers standing in front of me saying, "Go girl, you can do it!"After cleaning my house yesterday I woke very sore. I knew I would. When you have Fibromyalgia any pain hurts ten times worse than normal. I had ideas of exercising this morning, but I am not so sure now. lol See, again, I need motivation.

What motivates you? I think at times I can be like that little mouse running forever on that spinning thingy in hopes of catching a bite of marvelous cheese. Yes, I love cheese too. We can get pretty motivated when we think we are going to get something out of it can't we? I can be feeling poorly, but if my husband said, "Hey Rob, you wanna go get some Mexican and maybe a new purse?" I would jump up faster than a flee on a dog! (Really, I don't know where these word pictures are coming from this morning) I think we can all get motivated when we know there is something waiting for us on the other side of our laziness. Or would it be selfishness?

It seems we all want to be served, but how many of us want to serve? Is service a gift? Sure it is, but we can all find the gift of service in our hearts if we just allow the Lord to work through us. Just think of all the people we can touch through just one act of service. Serving is one of those gifts that just keeps on giving. 

Do we ever really consider where or who put in all the work for us to enjoy a feast or a day of fun? It usually isn't just one person, but many working behind the scenes, going unnoticed by those around them. This is one of the blessings of home schooling my children. They saw the work their father did when he was home. They took part in cutting wood and doing the outside work as well as helping me inside. My kids were taught to clean. They helped in doing laundry. They just didn't get to pile it in the hamper, but they saw the work that went into getting it from the hamper to their dresser. I am proud to say that our children are hard workers. They take pride in the things they do and are always willing to help out another.

What if we just woke each morning wondering what God had in store for us and thought about who we could help today? I know when I take my eyes off myself I am a better person. When I stop and think about helping or encouraging others it makes my heart stir. When I take my eyes off myself I am of better use of God. I am that willing vessel saying, "Yes Lord." It is not us that is serving, but the Lord living through us touching others.

Oh, how we can get in our funk. We just seem to stay in our little box and not think about anyone else. We don't look outside our own little world. We get comfortable don't we? It's easy to give excuses, but do we really have any? I think when we focus on Christ, we have no excuses. Ever notice that yourself? Oh, I do. It's those times when I am focused on me that all the excuses can come up, but if I am focused on Christ, then it is He who is Lord of my life and my time.

I can get motivated to exercise knowing the results. Knowing that it is good for me and is making me stronger. Even when it hurts.. I can get motivated to clean my home knowing it makes my home more inviting and pleasant. Even when it takes all day.. We can get motivated by many things, but we can find the Lord right there cheering us on every step of the way. We are His working hands. We are an extension of His love.

I am one of those girls who begins many things and ends with none finished!! Know what I am talking about? I begin with good intentions, but then my motivation goes out the window. You know why? Something better comes along. Something more exciting. We think service is not all fun. We think service is not all exciting, but it is when our focus is in the right place. It is worthwhile and  has lasting meaning. It touches others in ways we never knew possible. It gives value to life and purpose to our day.

Remember those old gas stations? As I kid I remember pulling into one with my parents and the attendant would fill the tank, wash the windows, check the oil and tire pressure. He did so with a smile on his face. While he filled the tank we could get out and grab a coke from the machine. (When soda really tasted good my friends) Service with a smile. I don't think there was so much road rage then, do you? Things have changed. No more do we see full service stations. We don't see people willing to give a hand much. Unless of course we are getting something in return.

Colossians 3:23-24 "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ."

Proverbs 6:6-11 "Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, which, having no captain, overseer or ruler, provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep-so shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, and your need like an armed man."

1 Corinthians 10:31 "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

May the Lord be our motivation for each waking moment. May He light our way and show us our purpose. May we finish each task before us with a heart of God and the spirit of hope. I pray I can wake each morning excited about what today will bring. It is my hope that I keep my eyes off myself and focus on Christ who will give me the strength and will to reach out to others, serving with a heart of compassion. It is through our service that God gains glory. It truly is better to give than to receive. Just look what our Savior was willing to give for us. Life and life abundant!!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...