Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ready for that inheritance?

What kind of inheritance are you looking for? I keep waiting for someone to call and let me know I have this great inheritance in England or something. You know, a castle or great lands to go and claim as my own. I don't think that is  going to happen anytime time soon. lol I have been on Ancestry.com searching for my family. I have been able to go back many generations. I have found some wealthy, and some very poor descendants. My families come from Ireland, Germany and England. What a combination, right? My husband says, "Well, now we know where that temper came from."

We look back and wish we came from royalty. We hope there was someone special in our families that played a big role in this world. We know our last name has meaning and we want to know that meaning. We are all searching for who we are and where we came from.

Sometimes this is a great adventure and we find great information making us smile. Others, well, as in my dad's family, I found that they were slave owners. So, that just opens even more questions than answers. I wonder, "Were any of my family Christians? Was anyone praying for their family to follow in their beliefs?"

We often take that word inheritance as a monetary meaning. But inheritance means so much more. It is legacy. It is heart. It something of value that cannot always be cashed in for gold, but is more valuable than any gold we could ever find. It is a treasure trove of wisdom and love. Where are you searching for your inheritance?

Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. He is our Father. He is our inheritance. He has given us life and not only life, but an inheritance with Him. In Him we can find forgiveness, Salvation, and redemption. I found this verse as I was studying yesterday and it just stirred my heart. I am searching for family, for who I am, and where I came from, but really, in Him, I can find all I am just in who He is!

Ephesians 1:1-14 "Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace to you and peace from the God our Father and Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places of Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons of Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, but which He made us accepted in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace, which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth-in Him. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory."

In this verse it holds who I am through Christ. I am adopted into His love, His family. He is my inheritance. I am an heir to His throne! I am His princess. He is my King!! I have to look no further. There is no greater inheritance. I don't have to look for my name in any great book of a long list of kings and lords.

In Christ, He isn't promising me great health, wealth and status. He isn't promising fame and glory.He is promising me life and life with Him!! He lovingly adopted me and paid for my life with the cost of His. In redemption, He is simply saying He will return for me. My ransom has been paid in full. I too was being held in slavery. But the Lord gave His life for my freedom. I no longer bear chains, but am freed in Him. Christ has prepared my home in heaven. Before I was even born He knew my name. He knew me like no other. He was willing to die for me. I am sealed by the Holy Spirit. A seal is something of importance. Families have crests or seals. Mine just happens to be the Holy Spirit! Can you too say that? If you believe you can. If you trust you can. If you give your heart to Jesus you too can find your inheritance in Him! Now, that is something to get excited about!!

Do you know what the Greek word for guarantee can be translated to? An engagement ring! Yes, that ring we all dream of from the moment we are little girls. Christ is the Bridegroom and the church is His bride. How long has He been waiting to court me? How long has He been waiting for me to answer His proposal? I say yes!! What about you my friends? He is calling. Are you ready to answer?

I can look to my Savior and know yes, there were Christians in my family. There is royalty. There was also brokenness and despair. There was greatness and sadness just as there is today, but Christ came to change all that. He came with a purpose. He came with a plan and His love covers all. I have to look no further than Jesus Christ and in Him I can find all the treasure I need to last for a lifetime and on into eternity.

Ephesians 2:8-10 "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is a gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."

Search beyond your heart for who you are and Christ will show you who you are through Him. He has given us life. A promised future in Him. That is more than any castle or gold can offer. He can bring pure joy. Where can you find your inheritance? Pick up His word, search those pages, those names, those hearts open wide for us to see. Paul? He is there right along with Peter. This is your family. This is my family. Our history is still being written. But we can look back through the pages of His love letter He has written just for us and see He thought about us from the very beginning. Give your life to the Savior today and you too can find your inheritance lasting.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...