Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Little Miracles

When I gave birth to my first child, Ashley, twenty-two years ago, I didn't think there could be anything sweeter. I then gave birth to my second daughter, Whitney, now twenty years ago. Last but not least eighteen years ago, I gave birth to my son Jacob. Three children, all totally unique. All beautiful and all stole their mother's heart.
To carry a child within you is a gift that God gave to women only. Sure, our husbands get to join in in the excitement and wonder, but lets be honest. They in no way can experience life as we can. Giving birth is one of those lifetime wonders that captures your heart and changes your life forever.

Today I was blessed to go to the doctor with my daughter, Ashley, who is carrying her first child, my first grandchild. As I thought nothing could be sweeter than having my own, I watched in wonder at my daughter today as she was having an ultrasound and saw sheer beauty before me. I saw the face of my grandchild. She has the lips of her mother. She twisted and turned as I felt her kick today. I sat in wonder, with tears in my eyes as my daughter is now experiencing the sweetest gift on earth. She will give birth to little Peyton in just over a month now. The joys she will find. The love that will grab her heart and never let go. The beauty in holding her baby for the very first time will steal her heart away. Today, she and her baby have this special connection. One that is life giving. She will always have this special connection as her little girl will add to her life.

There is something so pure in watching my daughter. She glows with her smile. She places her hand on her baby with protection and awe. She looks down upon her swollen belly with pride and love. There is nothing like it.

Indeed I thought having my own children was a gift, and it is. But watching my child bring another child into this world is something I stand in awe over. How can you not see a God of creation? How can we not look to One who knows us before we are named? Before little Peyton was thought of by her mother and father, God knew her. He created her in love and beauty. He has big plans for Peyton. He knew just who her mother was to be. He knows just when she should enter this world and as she does He will have His hand upon her.

Babies are little miracles. They come into our lives and change us. They bring life, laughter and love. Little Peyton will have grandmas and grandpas, aunts, uncles, and cousins to love her and to cherish her. She already has her little room outside of her womb. It is being decorated to just fit her perfect. Can you tell I am proud of this little baby? Right now, I am more proud of my daughter who is carrying her. As she lit up my life one June day, little Peyton will soon light up her life like never before. Ashley will be a wonderful mother. She will be just perfect in her love. She will make mistakes, but she will learn each day. Peyton will teach her things about herself she never knew. They will grow together. A bond has been formed that will never break. They might have those days to come where mother and daughter do not see eye to eye, but even in those days, nothing, nothing at all will tear that special love apart. For they will always remember this special day in October when they were made mother and daughter. Only God could create something so beautiful.

Psalm 139:14 "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...