Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Can you get any closer?

The television is on and our kids are right up close. They are as close as they can possibly get without being in the television. Our daughter, Whitney, would watch Barney as close as she could get. She would have her eyes glued to each movement of this big, purple creature. She would be singing along and just in awe. She would want to watch all day if she could. Our son would scoot as close as he could to get a glimpse of Elmo. He could dance and sing along, but he wanted to be as close as possible. He didn't want to miss a thing. Now, our daughter Ashley, she was in love with Lamb Chop. She would hold her Lamb Chop while the show was on. You could not get her attention. She was glued to every word and every song. When they were all three small, they would take turns watching. First, Jacob got to watch Sesame Street with Elmo, then Whitney's show came. Barney, the big, purple dinosaur. Ashley would wait patiently for Lamb Chop. But something amazing happened. They all joined in the love that one another had for each show. It was a sweet time in our home. Our three youngest, watching morning television, sitting as close as they possibly could.
There were times they would even sit on my lap and we would watch together. Sitting together, being involved, and loving each moment was just a sweet time. That is how my time with the Lord should be. I should want to sit on His lamp. There are those times I do. I just cry out to Him to hold me. To hang on tight while I cry. I should always want to be as close as I can possibly get. I should move closer when I cannot see. I should get involved in Him like I would a television show. Sadly, I at times can get more involved in watching television than I can paying attention to His calling.

There are those times we cry out to Him, but there are those others He is calling us. He is calling us to come closer. To pay close attention and not to miss a thing. But we do. We get off His lap. We run just like children to go do something else, something more fun. Until we get skinned up. Until we fall, and there we are calling out to Him for help. For comfort.

I should be as my children were. I should be so attuned to Him that nothing can tear my attention away. I should want to wake to Him each morning and as I lay my head down He should be the last One I speak to.

Why does it take me so long to learn? Why can't I just get it the first time? If I spent as much time with Him as I do with other things, my walk would be One that shined and glimmered in this dark world. Today I can sit back and think of those sweet times with my children. I can remember and wish for more time. Does Jesus do that with me? Does He remember when I first came to Him and all the time I spent with Him? Does He wonder why I no longer crawl upon His lap like I use to? Is He longing for more time? I think so. I can hear Him call to me. I can feel His presence wanting me to be closer. To be nearer.

I should want to be on His lap not only in those hard times when I am afraid, but in those special times. Those times in which I have much to praise. He should be the first on my list to share everything with. Too often He is not. I choose another first, before Him. I know how that feels. I know how hurtful it is when another chooses something over me. I feel left alone and feel as though I just don't matter. How can do I do that to my God who loves me so? My life is His. My time is His. My joy is Him. I don't need to make more time. I just need to spend the time I have with Him. Once I begin my morning with Him, I can speak to Him all through the day. I don't have to turn Him off like my children did their favorite shows and only wish for more. I can have Him all day. I just need to tune everything else out, and turn up the volume in my heart.

How close are you? How close do you want to be? I think of Mary and Martha. While Martha was busy in the kitchen and through the house, Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus. She was right where she needed to be. She was tuned in. She was ready. She let everything else go and focused on Him. I want a heart such as Mary's. I want to be so focused that I can hear every word and love note He has for me. I want to hear His correction the first time. Not learn the hard way. His lap is big enough for all. He wants us there close to Him. Mary knew there were other things she could be doing, but she realized Jesus is here! Jesus was in her living room. He was sitting in her chair. Can you imagine? I know in heaven I will get to sit at His feet. I will see Him face to face. But for now, I can crawl in His lap. I can find Him in my heart. I can feel His presence. All I have to do is speak His name.

Luke 10:38-42 "As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, 'Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.' But the Lord said to her, 'My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.'"

Wherever you are today. Don't be so concerned about the details that you miss the big party. Don't allow the busy day to get away from you. Take time and crawl up in the lap of our Savior. Spend a while just soaking in all His love.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...