Friday, June 18, 2010

LETS CHAT FRIDAY with Melissa Scarbrough Mashburn

I am so excited to be chatting with Melissa Scarbrough Mashburn today! Mel is one of those girls you would love to invite over for tea, sit on the deck and just chat! You might find yourself laughing a bit too! This is a woman who is serving God with passion. You can clearly see Him in her life. These chats are becoming such a blessing for me as I learn about these women, they are reflecting a light back to Christ, and wow, is He shining through them! So, lets get on with our chat, enjoy and be blessed!
(Robin) Melissa, tell me a little about yourself.

(Melissa) I’m a country girl trapped in the city of Ft. Lauderdale. I was born and raised in a small town just outside of Louisville, KY, and truth be told I still consider myself a KY gal even though I’ve lived in the Ft. Lauderdale, FL area for 23 years. I’m married to my best friend, Matt, for 17 years and have two amazingly awesome teenage sons, Nick and Bailey. My hubby went into full time ministry about 7 years ago and such the adventure called our life has taken on an even greater purpose. I’m absolutely a speak the truth in love, what you see is what you get, kind of girl who loves watching God do a mighty work in the lives of ordinary people.

(Robin) Since you have walked with the Lord has there been a time you struggled in your faith? If so, would you please share?

(Melissa) I’ve had so many struggles in my walk and each and every time I have waivered He has gently loved me, corrected me, and drawn me back to Him. One time in particular was a devastating desert season for me, it was the summer of 2007, and I really sort of lost my way. I doubted my faith, my walk, my call to ministry, basically my whole life. It was also during this intense season of struggle that I had some of the most amazing and sweet time with the Lord. He really and truly drew me closer to Him each and every day during that time. I look back on it now as a time of renewal instead of struggle.

(Robin) Has there been an "aha" moment in your life that has changed your perspective?

(Melissa) Yes, actually, after that season of doubt He laid on my heart such a peace and such clarity of my purpose. It was as if the veil had been lifted and I was able to see clearly that “doing” ministry for Him wasn’t the same as “living” for Him. I realized that just because I was in paid ministry didn’t mean that I had to work all the time and neglect the very first call He had on my life and that was my family…Family First was something that He kept laying on my heart and that was a HUGE Aha moment for me.

(Robin) Do you have a favorite bible story, verse, song or hymn that gives encouragement when struggles come?

(Melissa) Oh my goodness, I love, love, love to share the verses He laid on my heart during some of my most intense seasons of my life…- Psalm 40:1-3, I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. 2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. 3 He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. - John 16:32, Yet I am not alone for my Father is with me - 1 John 3:21-22 21Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22and receive from him anything we ask, because we obey his commands and do what pleases him. - Philippians 4:6 ~ 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

(Robin) What is one thing you look for in a close friend and what is one quality you hope others see in you?

(Melissa) I absolutely love people, but have been hurt so many times by people, we all have, haven’t we? I have lots of “friends” in my life, and they are a huge blessing to me, but if I am to truly let someone in, I mean, really let them in then that takes; Time, Loyalty, Truthfulness, Integrity, Honesty, Passion for Christ, Sense of Humor, and lots and lots of Grace! I hope when people see me they see a woman who is far from perfect, but who is truly seeking to be all she can be in Him.

(Robin) What are a few of your favorite books you have in your collection you would share with a friend?

(Melissa) Yikes, that’s a hard one…I am a voracious reader…BUT…I don’t like to share my books. I know, I know…that’s horrible, but it’s true. I love to buy books for people, and generally I won’t buy a book for someone that I haven’t already read. When I read my books I write all over them, highlight, dog-ear, you name it, and I could not bear to part with them…but, I will buy a copy of that book for a friend. Some of my must reads are;- Bible (obviously), reading the ESV version now- The Hole in our Gospel, by Richard Stearns (wow!)- Radical, by David Platt- God Chicks, by Holly Wagner- Visioneering, by Andy Stanley- No Other Gods, by Kelly Minter- What Happens When Women Walk in Faith, by Lysa TerKuerst

(Robin) When life seems to go crazy, what is one thing you do to bring comfort and peace?

(Melissa) Go to my back porch, we redecorated it to make it our “Quiet Room”. It has outdoor furniture, ceiling fans, water fountains, candles, and a big comfy chair. I usually grab my Bible, a cup of coffee, my blankie, my journal, a pen then head outside to spend some time thinking, praying, and listening to what God is trying to tell me in the midst of the “craziness” called life.

(Robin) What is one thing about yourself you admire?

(Melissa) My sense of humor…I seriously can laugh at something in almost every situation, good or bad. I like to bring JOY with me wherever I go…there are too many people that bring you down, I want to be one of the ones who lift you up!

(Robin) What are a few of the things you love surrounding you?

(Melissa) My family…I am truly a blessed woman to be married to a man who is passionately pursing Christ in what he does every day. He has a passion for making the church run smoother so that more people can hear the Good News. I am also so truly blessed to be the mama to my two sons…they truly are such a gift. They still like to snuggle, goof around, spend time with me, protect me, and take care of me…and they are teenagers; which is a rare blessing indeed.

(Robin) What are your deepest passions?

(Melissa) Faith, Family, Friends...it really is the cornerstone of who I am and what I live for each day! My deepest “passion” is first and foremost Him, but I truly feel like it is my mission to “Encourage women to live with an authentic faith by being transparent, renewed and transformed.”

(Robin) What is the best advice ever given to you?

(Melissa) I don’t want to hear you say that you “can’t” do something…you can, just keep trying! ~ My dad used to say this to me over and over and over while I was growing up. We joke about it now, but in all reality, it probably drives me more that I ever even realized.

(Robin) In the legacy you leave, what is one thing you hope out shines before all others?

(Melissa) Grace! The fact that He would choose me to do anything for Him still rocks my world. I know how “bad” I’ve been in my life and I know how far He has brought me out of the mirey pit.

(Robin) What are you currently working on?

(Melissa) * I’ve just stepped in as Co-Founder of the Praise and Coffee Nights Ministry with Sue Cramer.*I’m working with Noelle Mena to launch the new Take Root and Write Devotions website.* Preparing for the one year anniversary of the Godly Gals series in Mel’s World.* Leading VBS this summer as well as a Summer Women’s Small Group at my church.* Writing devotionals and articles with; Internet CafĂ© Devotions, 5 Minutes for Mom Faith Lifts, Exemplify Online & Magazine, and Blissfully Domestic (Inspired Bliss)* Speaking/Managing the South Florida Praise & Coffee Nights

(Robin) How do you define success?

(Melissa) That is a great, and hard, question! If you had asked me that a few years ago it would have everything to do with status, money, and influence…now that I am a little more seasoned with battle wounds/scars I would probably say something like…”Success is getting up every day doing the very thing that God created me to do.”

Where can you find Melissa: You can find me hanging out in;

Blog ~ Mel’s World with Melissa Mashburn
Twitter ~ @Mels_World
Facebook ~ Melissa Scarbrough Mashburn
Facebook Group for Mel’s World ~ Mel’s World with Melissa Mashburn
(Daughter of the King, Wife, Mom, Pastor's Wife, Writer, Speaker...all around God Chick!)

http://www.melissamashburn.com/ - Mel's World with Melissa Mashburn ~ Encouraging women to live with an authentic faith by being transparent, renewed and transformed. ~ Romans 12:2
Wanna know what I'm up to right now, then follow me on Twitter -> http://www.twitter.com/Mels_World
Stop by my Facebook Page to stay up to date on everything that's going on in Mel's World Acts 20:24 - But my life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about God's wonderful kindness and love.

Isn't she something? I knew she would bless you as she made this girl smile. Melissa, thank you so very much for stopping in today to chat with me, sharing your heart, passions, and wisdom. You are one of those girls you want to have in your circle of friends, surrounding you with love, encouragement and added laughter. May the Lord continue to bless through your ministries. Let your light shine girl!!

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...