Thursday, May 20, 2010

the sweet sound of grace

Believe it or not Amazing Grace is the first Christian song, or hymn I ever learned. Today, this is still my favorite song. There is something about these words that not only unbound those chains from my life, but stir something in my heart knowing Jesus has forgiven me, knowing as these chains are broken, He is the One who has freed me.

Being the first song I knew, this is the song I sang to Jacob each night before bed. Although I don't have the voice of an angel, my son loved to hear these words. They brought comfort, peace and a quiet sleep to him, and filled me with a newness I had never known before. I sang this song to Jake for a very long time. It not only covered me with a sweetness of grace, but brought my son and I closer together as I began to explain the meaning of grace and how Jesus gives it freely to those who love Him.

Grace is not something we deserve, it is a gift, a covering, a washing that cleanses us through forgiveness and sets us free of the past, inviting us to a future in Him. Listen to these words of Amazing Grace as they were written so long ago in 1779 by John Newton, but still today have so much meaning. There are different versions, just as Chris Tomlin has written above, but all still hold the sweet words of how I was blind and now I see. I love when a writer touches on a song that has such meaning to them, sharing how God's grace saved them, opening up a world for others to also know the beautiful grace that God has for us if we only reach out to Him, giving Him all and allowing Him to cover us with His love and grace.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me -I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now, I see.
T'was Grace that taught -my heart to fear.And Grace, my fears relieved.How precious did that Grace appear -the hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares -we have already come.T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far -and Grace will lead us home.
The Lord has promised good to me -His word my hope secures.He will my shield and portion be -as long as life endures.
When we've been here ten thousand years -bright shining as the sun.We've no less days to sing God's praise -then when we've first begun.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me -I once was lost but now am found,Was blind, but now, I see."

What do these words mean to you my friend? As Jesus healed the blind, as He broke the chains that held Paul, as He gave us His promises in His word, these words carry much. For this girl who was once lost, but now is found in Jesus, He has covered my life with His everlasting grace. Which ever version touches your heart and sets you free may it continue to lead you home and inspire you to let go of the past and live for right now in the precious grace we can find in Jesus.

I have been held by chains. My past has blinded me from the future. But there is One who can unbind those chains, bring healing, and set you free to have a future with Him. Won't you allow Him to use His key to unlock your chains? For this key will allow the past to be pardoned, and the future to behold promise.

May today be the day you let go and let God. May today be the day you are set free and find yourself on a new course with a new vision that only Jesus can give. For being washed in God's grace brings so much more than I ever thought possible. Oh, His sweet, sweet grace that He gave for you and I is a gift that releases all the boundries and all the chains that have held us back for so long. Allow Him to wash over you today and feel all this King's glory come over you sealing you with His love.

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...