Monday, May 31, 2010

Lessons of the Loggerhead Turtle

God has surrounded us with such splendid portraits of His beauty and creation. The Loggerhead Turtle is one of those creations with tenacity, patience, and a beauty as it gracefully swims the oceans depths.
As this turtle grows to be about thirty years old it takes a trip back to it's birth place, it's home, to have her own young. Did you know this is not just a hop, skip and a jump over a hill. No, indeed this Loggerhead swims for about six months or so, going half way across the world, from one point to its destination, home.

Getting home is not an easy task. There is danger in every kind. There are those who want to attack, those who deceive with nets, and those who try their best to hook them with bait. This is a journey, not for the weak, but for the strong, the determined, and the eager. But they have patience. Can you imagine trying to go home, and it's taking you over six months? And it's not just a drive, but you must go through such currents, such big depths, waves that surround you, and winds that cause a fury.

What is this turtle's defense? She has a strong and sturdy shell. She is covered in a protective case, but there are still parts that are vulnerable to the elements and attacks of others. She must have much wisdom, and she must have a calling deeper than within herself to go the distance and make the journey alone.

Ever feel as though all you want to do is go home? But it's taking you forever? Maybe you have lost your way in the depths. Maybe someone has pulled you out of the water and tagged you with a number on your back and you feel as though your not going to make it alone. Yes, indeed we can learn much from the loggerhead.

There is a beauty in the strength she must have. There is a quietness in her that helps her achieve her goals. As she goes against the current at times, facing danger from all around, she dances in the sea, moving away from the attack, even hiding at times in the protection of a cave for safety. Ever need to hide? Ever feel the need for safety? I have too. I have found it in the arms of Jesus. I have found that I can hide in the depths of His unfailing love, and it will carry me through, bring me through the rough tides and take me safely home. Where is home for you? My home will one day be heaven, but for now, well, home is in the love of Jesus for me. It is there that I find all I need and He seems to provide for this daughter of His who loses her way sometimes.

When we open our eyes to God's glory around us we can see amazing things, lessons to be learned and wisdom to gain. How can we not look at the creation around us and see an amazing God before us? If God above provides a way for the Loggerhead turtle, how much more will He provide for you and I? The Loggerhead is born with a destiny, just as we are. The Loggerhead is destined to travel back home, to find its way into the oceans it once came from and we too are destined to find our way, but our way is into the loving arms of Jesus. We are heaven bound my friends. If you know Jesus as your Savior you have a home, a way, and a life with Him.

My friends if you are trying to find your way home, Jesus is your compass. As long as you follow Him, He will forever and always be your compass home and isn't that where we all want to be?

Psalm 18:1-2 "I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 46:1-3 "God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging."
Psalm 91:1-2 "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."
2 Corinthians 4:8-9 "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...