Sunday, May 2, 2010

I think you should wear a helmet

We have a motorcycle, yes, my husband loves to ride, and me? Well, now that is another story. I love to ride with my husband. I love the feel of the bike, the wind, and all around us, but I am terrified one will have to scrape my brains up off the highway after a horrible accident.
Whether it would be law or not, my husband would never even think about getting on his bike without a helmet. That helmet is to protect him and to give him safety in case of a crash.

Okay, maybe I am a little graphic, but the thought of having an accident is what keeps me off the bike. I have had friends ask me, "Where is your faith?" My response to them is, "Oh, I have faith in God, its those around me I have no faith in." See, I don't look at it as not having faith in God. But I look at it as, if I am not comfortable with something then it is not for me at that time.

A few years ago after our Pastor had a car crash we went to the doctor with him and his wife. We were going to lunch after the doctor visit, but as I sat there in the office, I began to lose my appetite as most of all those around us in that office were there because of a motorcycle accident, and the kicker? None of those accidents were their fault. They were all caused by another reckless driver, who didn't see them, and who wasn't paying attention. But, they all had their helmets on, and those helmets saved their lives.

I will stay off the motorcycle until the Lord gives me peace to be on it. That peace may come or the Lord may guide me to stay off. Either way, I trust in Him, but for some reason it is just not my time to be on that bike. Some may say I am allowing fear to keep me from enjoying something amazing. Others may say, well when its your time to go its your time. To both of those I would say, a certain amount of fear is not wrong. If it completely overtakes you, then there is a problem, but when something just doesn't feel right, you shouldn't do it, no matter who is telling you its safe. For the Lord fills us with His Spirit to guide us, and as I walk today, He is not guiding me to get on that bike. And yes, when it is our time to go, the Lord will take us, but I say, Why rush it? Sometimes, it is not the Lord calling us home, but it is our own unwise choices that took us there a little early. For my husband, he feels totally comfortable. There is no fear that he feels, but he understands my uncertainty and knows until the time is right I don't need to be on. So, one point here, don't ever allow anyone to say to you, don't you have faith? Don't ever allow someone to talk you into something you are not comfortable with. It is to happen you will feel a peace about it and you will know without a doubt you should take that leap.

Jesus also calls us to put on our helmet. He tells us to put on our helmet of Salvation. That helmet is too there for our protection and safety. For with that helmet on we can face anything coming, knowing without a doubt that God is there at our side.

Ephesians 6:17 "Take the helmet of Salvation and the sword of the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

1 Thessalonians 5:8 "But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet."

In both of these verses we read about the helmet of Salvation. Without Salvation there is no life in Christ. With Salvation comes a new life, a life with Christ, and one that is for forever. In that one word Salvation I find Christ, His love, His hope and His promises. When I place that helmet on my head I know I am covered by Him. In that helmet I find peace and comfort. In our faith that helmet is important, for without it, do we really have faith?

When my husband leaves with his helmet upon his head, I am praying for His safety and protection. As I place my helmet of Salvation on, I can feel the prayers of the Lord upon me, filling me with His love, hope, and protection of this world and all that comes.

One day, I pray I will feel comfortable enough to stay on the back of that bike and go for a long ride with my husband. But for now, I will keep my feet right here on the ground, grounded in my faith that the Lord gives. For there is no helmet that gives as much as His does.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...