Monday, March 15, 2010

would you really want to know?

Sitting here this morning as my husband is leaving to go out again and spend the day looking for work I find myself wondering would I have wanted to know this was coming? Many times we wish we could know what was ahead and what tomorrow is all about, but I gotta tell ya, this girl would not have wanted to know this trial was ahead. I think I may just have quit right there.
That's the thing. Not knowing what tomorrow brings forth is what trust is all about. It is what placing our hope in the Lord is all about. It is where faith comes in. Knowing what is ahead puts all those things in our hands, not God's. If we knew what trials were ahead we would try to change them, to fix things, but all those trials, all those valleys and those joyous times have a purpose in our lives. If we had the power to change tomorrow we would lose all God has for us today.

Knowing ahead of time my daughters were going to leave home would not have made things better. Feeling it on that day was pain enough. I couldn't imagine seeing it coming in advance.See, in those years of trials with my daughters the Lord moved in my life in ways I would have never expected. In trusting Him I walked closer to Him. I opened my heart to new things. When challenges come we at times can be so fearful we want to walk the opposite way instead of facing each fear with the power of Christ.

We often think, "Well, if I had known that was coming I could have prepared, I could have changed things, I would have lived differently." Really, do you really think we would? For this girl, today is all I can handle. I don't want to know what tomorrow has to bring, not even the next moment. If my husband gets a call tomorrow saying he is hired and will start right away, I want to see that excitement in his eyes. I want to feel the moment with him and enjoy the Victory that Jesus has brought.

When my daughter shared with me that I was going to be a Nana is a day I will never forget. I would not have wanted to see that day coming for anything. I screamed out in joy, had tears streaming down my face and praised God for allowing her to feel what I felt carrying her.

See, that's the thing with knowing all that is coming. We not only know the bad, but the joyous. Wouldn't knowing ruin the surprise? Wouldn't it take away from the joy that the Lord wants us to experience?

As an author wrote a comment under a post today I did a happy dance right here in my living room. I would not have wanted to know that was coming. When I learned I get to be on a new friends blog talk radio show, I would have never imagined that coming, I was overjoyed with excitement. I will never forget the moment I knew in a million years. I am sure when I get to heaven and sit under the feet of my Savior, He will will show me all the ways He worked in my life to bring glory to Him.

Would really serve with all our hearts and minds if we knew what was up ahead? If we knew danger was there, if we could see the trials that we would soon face wouldn't we stop right there? See, in stopping right there, we don't get to see God move through all those times in our deepest fears. In stopping right there we don't get to see what is on the other side of the trial, and who all will be touched by our lives that are watching.

Instead, may we live each day like it is our last. May we serve with a trust and faith that can only be in Christ Jesus. Might we not try to see tomorrow so hard, and take time to see what is right before us. Let us live each day with a passion, a renewed spirit, and a deep faith, trusting God with all that is coming.

I don't want to know when that trumpet is going to sound. I want to enjoy that sound in the blink of an eye. I don't want to know the last day I have with my mother, or if my husband will find a job tomorrow. I want to enjoy the life given to me today.

Matthew 6:25-27 " Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look of the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; Yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"

Matthew 6:33-34 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...