Friday, March 5, 2010

ride the loop

I remember my dad taking me into one of those "fun houses" when I was young. You know, one of those houses where everything is crooked, the walls are out of shape, the floors are not even, and as you walk through you feel as though you just might fall? When I was there walking through with my dad, I can remember feeling a little scared, not quite sure, but I knew I was safe with my dad there at my side, so I let loose and laughed with him.
I can tell ya my life right now seems a little like that fun house, but only not so fun. I would call it "shaky house" now. Your trying with all your might to stand up, but with the craziness under foot, you feel as though you could fall at any moment. Again, I feel a little scared, probably much more than when I was a kid at a carnival, but I too know that I am safe with my Father by my side.

It doesn't matter how shaky the ground is, or how unsure I am of things, I know without a doubt He is there holding things together. If my foundation is strong in Him, that house could fall down around me, and I know I would still be standing with my Savior.

When I was about 19, I went to Florida to Disneyland. I stood in line for hours to ride "Space Mountain". Now, let me tell ya, that was one dark ride. As they strap you in, the roller coaster goes at high speeds, and is in total darkness. You can't even see your hand in front of your face. As I screamed my way through the twists and turns, my seat belt came off. I was terrified. The only thing that was holding me was the person I was riding with. Without that person there, I would have fallen out, there is no doubt in my mind.

Do you ever feel like your riding a coaster in the dark? Up and down you jostle around, hanging on and trying to get to the end.

My kids love all the coasters. My son was terrified of them when he was young, it wasn't until his teenage years that he would even think about getting on one. Once he did, he loved it. Now, the difference in the coasters he likes and the one I rode, was being in the dark. On regular coasters, you can see where your going, you can prepare by hanging on. You know whats up ahead, but in the dark you have no direction at all. You feel fear taking over instead of assurance.

I am learning that no amount of darkness can wash over me. In Christ Jesus there is no darkness, only light. So when your on that roller coaster of life what do you do? You hang on to your faith. It is that very faith that builds your foundation, that keeps you steady and gives you hope.

You might be like me and feel like the roller coaster is about to take your breath away. You might be trying to stay strong for those around you, keep all those tears of fear inside, those screams that you want to get off are hushed down deep, because you don't want those around you to know just how really scared you are. But when we are living in our faith, we have someone holding us in safely as that ride seems reckless.

With all the twists and turns, with the floors that seem out of whack, we can feel unsteady and unsure. Even though we can't see up ahead, and many times we can't prepare for what is up ahead, we have a mighty God who sees all and knows all. He is preparing us when we don't even know it. He has placed situations in our lives leading up to that big loop to prepare us and let us know that no matter how big or high, He is in control. That ride isn't going anywhere He hasn't already been.

We have a friend who works at Six Flags. His job is to walk the roller coasters checking and rechecking them for safety. So, part of his job is the safety of others. He takes his job seriously. For us Christians, God is our checker and rechecker. He has His eye on us, and He isn't taking it off anytime soon.

Yes, life is like a roller coaster. Sometimes its scary, and sometimes it is filled with laughter. Don't scream to get off just yet. Take the ride one loop at a time. Soon, all those loops will come to make sense, and we will see the end coming. Don't allow fear to keep you off, get on, because your fee is already paid in full. Your not on the ride alone, you have Someone sitting right next to you!
Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!"
Psalm 29:11 "The Lord will give strength to His people; The Lord will bless His people with peace."
Psalm 31:24 "Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord."
Psalm 34:8 "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...