Saturday, March 13, 2010

the ferris wheel

Every since I was small I have loved Ferris wheels. They are not only tall, but there is something majestic about them. They seem strong in the challenge of keeping that wheel rolling, turning round and round.
A few years back, my daughters, some great friends and I took a ride into the city to go to Forest Park. While there as we were getting ready to travel home we noticed the large Ferris wheel there in honor of the World's Fair in 1903. We took off knowing we had to ride it before we left. It brought with it a wonderful way to end our day.

As we all looked at the one another we knew this was going to be fun, and indeed it was a ride we will never forget.

It was such a magnificent sight. We waited for our turn to hop on and ride to the top of the world. Well, it wasn't really the top of the world, but from where we were we could see for miles.

There was a peace and calm in those moments of being at the top. Its when we started to go lower that things changed, the vision changed also, and the queasy feeling came over me.

There was a sadness knowing it was almost over, but then just as we lowered to the bottom, we started moving upward once again. We didn't move up quickly, it was a slow steady pace, but we just kept turning. I figured out that no matter where we were on this ride it was exciting to some depth.

At each level the sights were different and you could see a different view from each level. Being at one you would say, "Look at that", and then again in a different position, a different light, things came into view once again and you just wanted to stop for a moment and enjoy the view.

My life is a lot like that Ferris wheel, where it keeps turning, whether I am ready or not, going from those lows to those highs setting my eyes on specific things that I could only have seen from that view.

Those low spots may still make me queasy, but I have learned to have peace no matter where the ride is taking me.

Moving with this ride has helped me to not take the top for granite, and it has taught me that even those lowest spots there is still a view of beauty to take in. And you know something else? I am never alone on this ride! And no matter matter if it slows down or speeds up, I have nothing to fear for I know who is at the controls of my ride and I give Him my full trust.

Isaiah 40:3o-31 " Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, and they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...