Monday, January 4, 2010

surrounded?

When we are not always surrounded by others who seem to care about our situations, we can always take comfort in knowing that Jesus is there, caring about each situation in detail about our lives. We can find comfort in Him, we can find peace in Him, we can find strength in Him and we can find love and support in Him. We don't always find love and support from those around us. I know as my husband lost his job, in the last year, there have been few people come to us telling us, "If you need anything you let us know". As I was speaking to a friend a few days ago, she too was finding herself hurt by those surrounding her and her family as they struggle that were looking the other way,not seeing their pain and trials. So why is it that others turn away? At times you feel as though they think your trial might be contagious. As Christians we are to surround each other with love, with compassion and we are to lift one another up. When you are hurting you need the strength of your brothers and sisters lifting you up, in this it gives you hope, it gives you the feeling of being loved and knowing others are praying for you, but when this is absent from your trial, it makes the load worse, almost unbearable. We are to lighten the load of those around us. We aren't to keep our eyes on ourselves, but to turn our eyes to others around us, and when we see others hurting, we need to show them the love of Jesus. I know my husband would be lifted up if there were many around him praying with him, and asking him,"Are you okay?" As a mercy, I hate to see others hurting, I hate to see others in pain, so for me, its easy to reach out, that is not me, that is Christ moving through me, being a mercy is a gift that He uses to reach out to others. That is not the gift everyone has, and some find it hard to reach out, for when you reach out you make yourself vulnerable, you are putting yourself, your heart out there for others, and many times if we were not taught to do this, we find it hard to learn how. I know when my dad was dying of cancer, even my family stayed away. They were fearful of the unknown, they didn't want to see him like that, they didn't know what to say, or how to say it. So my mother and I felt abandoned too. We needed their love and support to get through not only his sickness, but his death. We can get angry when others do not reach out to us,we can allow that hurt to add on more burden, but we must learn not be dependent on others, therefore we must turn to Jesus for our support, our love and help. I have to say I have become hurt, but I have to let those feelings go, for sometimes others just don't know what to say and they don't know how to reach out. But you can hardly keep from feeling as though you do not matter. I know as my friend and her family have struggled as we have, you just want to know your not alone, you want to know there are those around you who really care. In these situations you do find out who your real friends are, those friends who stick by you even though things are hard. We cannot be defined by our situations, by our circumstances that surround us. When loss hits, when changes come we must remember we are children of God, and He is with us always. Although we might feel alone in this world, we are not alone in Him. We can take comfort knowing He is with us, He hasn't forgotten us, He hasn't turned away and He never will. Through this trial He is showing me to just turn to Him, to just keep my eyes on Him, not the things around me, or the lack of things around me, but to be content in Him. He is also teaching me that just because I am hurting, that doesn't mean others can see that clearly, so I too must learn to reach out to others, humbling myself, letting them know of my hurts and feelings. There are times that others cannot help if they do not know the need, so that is why we must be honest when others ask, "How are you doing?" If you are going through a trial, I pray you are surrounded by love and compassion, by people reaching out to you, but if you are not, know that God works in mysterious ways, and He will bring you through, and as He shows you mercy, you will learn mercy for others, He will open your eyes to others hurting, and He will make a way for you to bring blessings to others around you. When we reach out to others we are showing the love of God. When we surround ourselves with God's love, He will move us to reach out. When we reach out to others, we learn about ourselves, and it is not only the person we are reaching out to that is blessed, we too find blessings in touching the hearts of others, in seeing God do His work.


Galatians 6:2 "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."


1 Corinthians 10:24 "Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well being."


Romans 15 "We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, leading to edification. For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me. For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus, that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Lord, thank You for surrounding me with Your love, with Your passion, and with Your grace for each day. Thank You for teaching me, for molding me, and help me to see other's needs, help me to stay focused on You, not my circumstances. Bless those today who are hurting, may you bring them comfort and peace in knowing You are there for them every step of the way.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...