Saturday, August 8, 2009

What promises have you made?

Have you ever been on your knees and said to God,"If you only give me this I promise never to do that again?" We at times put God as our little genie in a bottle. We think we can go to Him at any point and say,"I will do this if you do that for me." We go to Him and ask for all our wants, and expect Him to deliever on time on the right date. He is our UPS man with that special package that we so want. Well, what happens when it doesn't come? What happens when we never see what we asked for come into our hands? Do we turn away from Him in anger, only to go back when there is something else on our list? We not only go to God with our "wants", but we go to Him in prayer at a time of need and say those very words again. I remember when I was a teenager asking God,"If you let my daddy live I never again do those actions." When my dad died I was one angry young person who was very angry at God. I was not a christian then and at that point I had no desire to be. I thought,"Why do I need a God who won't even listen to me?" Now, as I am a woman, and have grown, I see that God was there when my dad died. My dad was saved before He died, and although I didn't know Christ, He knew me, and was there all along. God is not a God who we can do to with every whim and ask for our wants. He isn't into hearing our promises we will only break again. He wants us to come to Him with humble hearts, hearts that are honest and true. He knows the real us, even if others do not. When you hear people say,"Promises were made to be broken", what do you think? I think a mans word should be his word with no promise being made, no pinky swears, and no crossing of the fingers, no needle in the eye. If we are to teach our children to live in truth, we must also live in truth. If we are to teach our children who God really is, we too must see Him for the God He is. He knows what is best, even when we cannot see the picture in full. He knows each step and each choice and just how it will effect our lives forever. He knows our hearts and our desires. When we go to God, we don't have to promise anything, we only have to be humble and give Him all we have. We must look to Him as the Father we have in heaven and One who knows what we need and when we need it. He has the wisdom to yes or no, but He answers every prayer. There is no prayer that goes unanswered. He is not a give and take for us to go to with our wishes. We can't close our eyes and wish upon Him like a star. I am glad that I have come to know He knows best. He knows all about me, from beginning to end, and He has a purpose. When my dad died, it set me on a road to destruction, and it took me a long time to find my way to Christ. I learned that each turn in my life is a teaching point, making me into who God has chosen me to be. When we have relationships with others we don't have to promise things in return for others. Our word should be good enough. Our honor and trust should speak volumes of who we are. God can move mountains, He created the world and all in it. When He was upon the cross, He didn't make promises to change that day. His actions He chose to make that day changed us forever. God doesn't have to prove His love to us. His love was given in death on the cross. He shows us His love daily. He is there even when we think we are alone. God hears our prayers and answers them according to the purpose and will He has for our lives. We don't have to make promises, we only have to trust in Him with our lives and all that touches us. We can breathe today knowing God is with us, and He sees each need and gives accordingly to each one. " You lust and so not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war.Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask adn do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." James 4:2-3 "The grass withers, and the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8 "Again, you have heard that it was said of old,' You shall not swear falsly, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.' But I say to you, do not swwear at all: neither by heaven, for it is God's throne; nor by the earth, for it is His footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Nor shall you swear by your head, because you cannot make one hair white or black. But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes', and your 'No' , 'No'. For whatever is more than these is from the evil one." Matthew 6:33-37 God's word stands and it is true, as so our word should be also. Think first before we make promises that we cannot keep, and just speak the truth. Let us not ask God for all our wants, but go to Him with a humble heart, trusting that He knows the answer that is best for our future with Him...

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...