Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Finding Strength To Battle The Giants

Today I found myself reading in 1 Samuel. I wanted to find David once again within the pages of this Book that gives me such strength and courage to beyond any fear. 

God calls David. He sends Samuel to find the Lord's anointed. He searches Jesse's sons, but none are the one whom He has called. David comes out of the fields. There in the young one of the family, the unexpected, the unknown, the anointed is found. 

David's job watching over the sheep was not an easy one. I think at times we ponder the sight and come up with a diluted vision of David just playing music as he sits underneath a tree keeping watch. David fought bears and lions to protect the sheep under his watch. He took his position seriously. This entire time God was molding David for the path ahead. To face a Goliath much stronger than any lion or bear he had yet to face, but through those trials God gave David the confidence and courage he needed. He knew he could overcome. Not by his own strength or fight, but by God's hand that would cover him and make a way. 

David doesn't just face Goliath. He faces the uncertainty of his brothers watching who didn't believe the sight before their eyes. Saul girds David up in bronze protection. Much too heavy for the youth with a mighty faith. David wasn't just born with a strong faith. He grew in faith through trial, through seeing God move on his behalf many times when David should have been taken by the strength of a lion or bear, God provided. 

 David takes off the armor that is to protect him. He knows that isn't the armor that will protect him today. His Armor will come of a different kind. Five smooth stones, but only one stone, a stone of faith isn't just released, but it is seen by all. David is a new warrior in the eyes of those watching. David is sure to give praise and honor to the God who provided and gave way for this young man to the the mighty men before him that it isn't about the power they yield in their own hand, but that of the God before them. 

David's story only begins here. It continues to unfold. What we see in David is a youth who becomes a man and he too needs reminders of the God who provided. This is where I am today. Needing reminded of God's power to move every mountain ahead of me, His hand upon me, His work before me, and His will for my life. 

In many ways I am that youth of David. Still learning to walk this journey of faith. This world tells us we can't do it. You know, this life isn't easy. We fight battles of every kind each day, but our biggest battle is ourselves. The doubt that lives in us. The fear of failing. We live in the unknown everyday. Beyond right now we have no idea what's to happen in the next minute, the next breath could rock our world. But what we must know with certainty is that the God who created us isn't leaving us in the fight alone. He's there with us, standing guard, filling us with strength, and covering us with a hope that gives us a trust that in any challenge we face God is going to move on our behalf. 

There is no Goliath too big for God. Here's the lesson I'm learning. Every battle isn't mine to fight. That's huge! The battle is God's. I'm His vessel when He calls me to the front lines. But I need to listen for His call and jump the gun and go ahead into every battle with my own agenda. I am to wait upon the Lord. As I wait I am to pray. We forget how mighty prayer is in any battle. Prayer can win the battle when our trust and hope is found in Jesus. 

"I waited patiently for the Lord; And he inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth-praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord. Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust."  Psalm 40:1-4

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...