Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Critical Condition by Richard L. Mabry, M.D.

Before I even begin to write my review I feel like I need to apologize. I have read books by Richard Mabry that I have enjoyed immensely. This novel doesn't fall into a favorite for me. I was intrigued when I seen the cover and read the description. I was expecting a novel that focused around the medical field. Other than the main character, Shannon, being a doctor, and all of her friends being doctors, it had nothing to do with medical field. To me, with the title, "Critical Condition", I'm leaning to believe this is a suspense novel that has something to do with what the cover projects.

Richard Mabry's words flow easily. He does give an interesting story. But, I couldn't connect. I kept reading, waiting to fall in love with the characters, but it never happened. I enjoy reading unforgettable, and I'm so sorry to say, but this doesn't fall in that category for me.

The story moved along at a slow pace. Yes, in the beginning, Shannon's boyfriend dies right before her eyes. (I'm not giving away any details) Next, shots are fired and there a man who lay dying on her front lawn. The story builds from here into who done it and just how is Shannon involved.

So, I've said I really didn't find a connection with the characters and the story moved slowly for me. But there are good things in this novel too. We meet Shannon's sister, Megan, who to me, is the main focus in this story. She has fallen from grace. Life hasn't been easy and her choices, well, haven't been the best. But she turns her life around. Rehab actually works for her. Life is different now, but circumstances occur and now all eyes are on Megan again. She is being questioned and treated as if, what's happening, is just expected from her. Megan is free from her old life, but does that really ever escape her?

Shannon questions her faith. A faith that is all tied up in doubt and question, but it's a faith that isn't dead. We do get to see her life change from the fear that held her captive into a now faith lived life. So, see, there are a quite many good things within this story. It just wasn't what I expected.



This book was a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...