Skip to main content

You'll Get Through This by Max Lucado

There has yet to be a book penned by Max Lucado that I haven't enjoyed. My home is filled with his books. I go back to them over and over again. I don't think you could find one that I have not highlighted great insights and written notes from my heart. From each and every one I have learned valuable lessons that bring me closer in my walk with the Lord. 

In this latest release, "You'll Get Through This", Max Lucado brings another message of hope through giving us a close up look into the life of Joseph. Throughout this book we see this phrase.

"You'll get through this. It won't be painless. It won't be quick. But God will use this mess for good. Don't be foolish or naive. But don't despair either. With God's help, you'll get through this." 

These words are soothing to my soul. If we are not going through a turbulent time right this moment, we will be one day. Most likely if you are like me, you have been through many valleys and know that without a doubt you made it through by the grace and strength of our Savior. 

This is one of the most beautiful books that I have been blessed to read. The cover captures what is held inside the pages. Notice how the cracks make a cross? The clover pushing it's way up through the crack. A beauty where one would least expect. This is the handy work of God. This is what He does in those valleys. Out of our mess He creates beauty. 

"What is coming will make sense of what is happening now. Let God finish His work. Let the composer complete His symphony. The forecast is simple. Good days. Bad days. But God is in all days. He is the Lord of the famine and the feast, and He uses both to accomplish His will." 

You know the feeling of being mesmerized as the Holy Spirit is opening your eyes? This is how I felt as I read this book. Max is gifted at bringing life to the pages before us. His center never leaves the Word of God. This is his focus. From the Word he brings us the story of Joseph. The good, the bad and the ugly. He walks us through and gives us a descriptive look into how God moved in his life. There isn't a moment that God wasn't present. There wasn't one single moment God wasn't able to use. 

"Does He not have the authority to do so? He is the potter; we are the clay. He is the Shepherd; we are the sheep. He is the Gardener; we are the branches. He is the Teacher; we are the students. Trust His training. You'll get through this. If God can make a prince out of a prisoner, don't you think He can make something good out of your mess?" 

Max also shares stories of his life with us. Personal stories of his and of others who have impacted his life. I love his transparency. If we count the pages of chapters this is quite a short book at 162, but it doesn't end there. In the back of the book is a great study guide that follows each chapter. (If you follow the link to Thomas Nelson you can see that a study book, video and more are also available.) This is a powerful book. One of my favorite chapters is chapter 14 where Max shares his time spent in New York just after 9/11. I was brought to tears by his powerful experience. This is what I love and admire about Max Lucado. He is so real. He shares from his heart and isn't afraid to open himself up. 

This is a life changing book. One that has surely blessed me. 

This book was a gift from Thomas Nelson for sharing my review with you.

Comments

Deborah M said…
Robin I live Max's books but haven't read one in a while. I think I'll order this one after reading your post.
Deborah Malone
"Death in Dahlonega"
"Murder in Marietta"

Popular posts from this blog

The Illusionist's Apprentice by Kristy Cambron

I want to begin this review sharing two reviews I was blessed to do. The Butterfly and The Violinand A Sparrow in Terezin. For me these two novels were masterpieces. Works of such exquisite beauty. They showed that Kristy Cambron is gifted with the pen, a master storyteller. They remain two of my all-time top favorites. 
It was for this reason I was thrilled to be receiving a copy of The Illusionist's Apprentice. Once again Cambron shows us a masterpiece of bringing a story to readers that speaks of faith and our Lord. Although throughout the novel these aspects are not boldly proclaimed, but are masterfully weaved throughout the story. 
Magic and illusion are not the same. I love how she brings this truth. Love that the main character was an apprentice to the master of illusion. She takes the use of being an apprentice and walks that road with integrity and hope. When we choose to walk with Christ we are His apprentices. We are to walk as the main character, Wren Lockhart walked…

The One True Love of Alice-Ann by Eva Marie Everson

Oh, just where do I begin? This is the stuff in which great novels are made. I made my way through this richly beautiful novel turning page after page with such deep emotion and thought. I couldn't turn the pages quick enough, but I didn't want it to end to soon. It's one of those novels you could continue reading as long as there were pages. No page just made of fluff, words with no meaning on the page. Every single line in this novel created a story that will last in my heart forever. 
Ms. Everson, I am so happy stories of the war were shared with you. Oh, to have your Sunday school teacher share with you, "You can't choose who you fall in love with, but you can choose who you marry", is a blessing that has now enchanted your readers. What a story you have weaved together. History penned with such depth, detail, and a story that captures the heart. 
This lovely story begins in 1941. The war has started. Picture a family gathered around the Zenith to hear t…

The" I Am" Makes Us Think About What "i am"

In Genesis 1:26-27 it shares something valuable to each of us about who we are in God. We are created in His image. What I love about this verse below is that is says, "make man in OUR image". What's OUR? The trinity, God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ Jesus. Ponder that. I mean really go deep. We are make in THEIR image. 
"Then God said, "Let US make man in OUR image, according to OUR likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him, male and female He created them."
We are His workmanship. He knew us before we were ever born. He weaved us together within the womb, but even before then He planned our life perfectly for us. That's so much to ponder isn't it? 
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared…

The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning

I came across this selection on Amazon. I had seen so many reviews that it intrigued me. I had never read anything from this German author. The cover caught my attention as did the description of this novel. 
It's a part of a trilogy. I am getting ready to open up book 2, The American Lady. I cannot wait to begin. I tell you this book marveled me. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. What a journey into another time and place. 
We travel to Germany where this novel is set. The year is 1890 and we find ourselves in Lauscha, Germany. The author did a fantastic job at the perfect description of not only the area, but circumstance, and heart of the characters. Her writing style flows so easily that the pages almost turn themselves. 
The characters are easy to love. Three sisters who are now wondering, after their father had passed from this earth,  how they will now provide for themselves. It isn't going to be easy, but these sisters show us how to prevail over challenges that…

Unexpected Blessings

The last words my dad spoke to me from his hospital bed were, "Rob, take care of your mom." Those are words I have never forgotten. I have not only honored them for my dad, but for my mom. I too am commanded by my Father to honor my mother and father.
"Honor your father and mother so that you may have a long life in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12
My mom gave her life in caring for me. On my first birthday, my very first Christmas, was spent in the ICU as I was very sick with pneumonia. A little later I would burn myself with spilled coffee. A few years later I would tumble down many stairs and once again spent time in the hospital. 
I remember all the times I was sick and could feel my mom's hand brush against my forehead as she checked for fever. All the times she must have stayed up all night as I was sick. 
When I was little she would pour me a bowl of Raisin Bran. I loved it. Only I didn't like the raisins. She would take t…