Monday, September 30, 2013

A Stop Light Praise

Sitting at a stop light. 

A nanny and her granddaughter, laughing and singing. 

Giggles coming from Peyton as we are stopped and waiting to turn. 

We have the grandest times in my truck. We search for hay bales, cows, pigs and horses. She shares what the clouds appear to look like to her. She says, "Nanny, sing a new song." We giggle as Old McDonald has a new critter on the farm. 

I've been teaching her that a red light means stop. Green means go and yellow means to slow down. She caught on quite quickly. As we were slowing to the red light in front of us I say, "What does the light mean Pip?" She smiles big and says, "It means stop." Little did I know at that moment the man in front of us didn't know the meaning too well. 

We are having a ball. Just me and Pip. 

I see through the corner of my eye the car in front of us take off on a red light. 

What I see next catches in my throat. It's as though my heart stops. I look forward as screeching tires take hold of my ears. 

Singing stops in an instant. 

The car goes right on through, but not before cutting off a truck. A truck going at full speed. He slams on his breaks. He jerks his truck to stop from hitting the car. We are in his full view. My eyes catch him as he is trying to control his truck. 

In this instant my heart screams Jesus. 

It was as if He placed His hedge of protection around us. As though He placed His mighty hand and moved that truck over inches. My hand goes to Pip's knee and she places her hand on mine. She says, "Nanny, what happened?" I look to her and simply say, "I love you." 

In a moment of grace God covered us. Tears came as I said, "Thank You, Jesus. Thank You." 

As we parked Peyton is now giggling again. As I took her out of her car seat I just wrapped my arms around her. I couldn't think about our safety without praising Jesus. 

In this one moment our lives could have changed forever. I'm not sure if the people who ran the light gave it a second thought. I'm sure the man who almost hit us was grateful he was able to remain in his lane. So many times things like this happen and we give them no thought at all. We just say, "Boy that was close", and go on about our day. I can share with you that today as I write tears are still falling. I cannot imagine what would have happened if the truck would have collided with us. 

Just seconds. Seconds could have changed everything. 

One thing I do know, without a doubt, is that Jesus was with us. His hand was upon us and I am forever grateful. It was just another reminder to never take one moment for granted. To enjoy the laughter and to celebrate life each and every moment. 

Thank You, my sweet Jesus


"In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Jesus Christ concerning you." 
1 Thessalonians 5:18 


"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." 
Philippians 4:8







AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...