Friday, May 10, 2013

Victim of Grace (When God's Goodness Prevails) by Robin Jones Gunn

When your in a book store and your eyes are traveling up and down the shelves, what is it that catches your attention? A name? A book cover? Maybe the subject? Robin Jones Gunn is one of those eye catching authors. I see her name and I grab up the book. I may even just drop everything and sit in the aisle of the book store and read for a bit. Yes, I have been known to do so with great enjoyment. Victim of Grace is one of those books!

Robin's latest book is more than an eye catcher. It's a heart changer. The cover is inviting. The title inquisitive. I can honestly tell you I loved this book from beginning, middle and end. As I read I often had to stop and ponder the words before my eyes. This is Robin's story. A story of grace and how the Lord has moved in her life through circumstance to show her His mercies new daily.

At first I wondered about the title, "Victim of Grace". Does anyone really want to be known as a victim? I mean we see that word and think weak. But what is the definition of victim? Victim: (noun) from the Latin, victima, a live sacrifice. Hm..that kind of changes things doesn't it? Aren't we living sacrifices for Christ? What about the definition of grace? Grace: (noun) a manifestation of unmerited favor. I love when a writer doesn't just share the word, but gives us the deep meaning of what the word is to them. Robin does this with such gentleness, her words flow. She shares with us how to surrender to the Savior when all seems impossible. Through that surrender she finds peace and a grace that sets her free.

One of the verses Robin shares is from 2 Corinthians 10:5. She shares deep and raw about the struggles of her personal life. When the onslaught of these thoughts targeted her she used this verse to bring her thoughts back to Jesus. "Today I am casting down my imagination and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."

One of my favorite sharings of Robin is this: "The reality of "what is," not the fantasy of "what could be," is the place where God's will is accomplished in our lives. Learn to make peace with the mysteries of surrender, submission and endurance."

Robin too shares of her journey of writing. This is powerful for me. Her words give me great encouragement to continue onward believing and trusting that Lord is working behind the scenes and in my heart. In the most intimate moments of my struggles He isn't leaving me, but strengthening me for the journey He has just for me.

The scripture verses that Robin shares are poignant to the story she is sharing. This is one of those books that makes you realize your not alone. Each page brings inspiration through the eyes of a woman after God's own heart.

Robin not only shares stories from her life, but from women of the Bible. One of my favorites is chapter 6 entitled, A Banner Word. The scripture heading is, "Godly people..do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them." Psalm 112:2 Robin shares her journey through a diagnosis of cancer. I simply lost myself throughout this chapter.

I can tell you reading this book feels like I've enjoyed a weekend with Robin, sharing coffee, and speaking heart to heart. Friends, this is one of those rare gems that is a must read. We have all lived those times we thought would take us under and by the grace of God here we are today. Those times will surly come again, but God's goodness will always prevail. This beautiful book will set a course for you to stand in strength and grace for those uncharted lands of our journey that will always lead you straight to Jesus.

This book was a gift from Zondervan through the Booksneeze program for my review.

Robin Jones Gunn Over the past 25 years Robin has written 82 books with almost 4.5 million copies sold worldwide. To her great delight, Robin’s books are doing exactly what she always hoped to do – they are traveling around the world and telling people about God’s love. She is doing the same. Over the past ten years Robin has been invited to speak at events around the US and Canada as well as in South America, Africa, Europe and Australia. Robin and her husband have two grown children and have been married for 35 years. They live in Hawaii where she continues to write and speak. www.robingunn.com







AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...