Monday, February 4, 2013

Does The Bible Fit?

Last night after having a long day I was resting and flipping channels. I was channel surfing and came across an episode of, "Friends". I came in at the very end of the program, but what I caught was enough to bring a lesson to my heart. Isn't it funny how God can teach us in the places we least expect?

So, during the episode, Phoebe is having contractions and she remembers she has a book to tell her what to do when this time comes. So Monica tells Rachel to go and get the book. Rachel runs and grabs the Bible and hands it to Phoebe. The scene ends in laughter. My heart was not laughing. Yes, in my judgmental heart I thought, "Okay, now just where did that Bible come from because it totally does not fit in the lives of these people." Ouch! I know, right? To look at the characters and the show the Bible just seemed out of place.

It was as though I could hear my Savior asking me, "So Rob, if someone was to come into your home and see all the Bibles you have in different places, would they think it out of place?" Double ouch! What does my life show? Do my actions point toward Jesus? Do my words inspire others to look to Him? I must be honest and say, not always. There just may be times where people would be shocked that I am a believer.

The five minutes of this show that caught my attention really had me searching. I don't want others to see a life where there is no Jesus. I want my life to line up with what I proclaim to believe. Yes, I am a sinner. A sinner in need of grace. A sinner forgiven. Praise Jesus!

But see, here's the thing. I am not to look upon others and judge, "Where is Jesus in your life?" I can hear the world already. "So, you call yourself a Christian, but wow, you sure aren't showing it right now." What the world may see is the moment where I stumble. What they don't see is when I come to my Savior asking for forgiveness. What they don't see are the tears after I have made a remark out of anger. They don't see my brokenness over my actions the night before. We live in a  world sure to point out every wrong. We must come to a place where we show the world the grace of God. We must come to a place where even in our brokenness the world sees a sinner who has been saved and is washed by the grace of God.

I don't want to hide my faults from the world. I am growing in a place where I want the world not only to see when I fall, but even  more so,  I want them to see my Savior lift me up and set me on higher ground. I want the world to see the sweet grace of God. I am to measure my walk agaisnt the Word of God. When I falture I am to be honest and humble. This creates character and a beauty that can only come from seeking God.

So, yes, there are times when my home isn't the picture of a girl with an open Bible and a heart after God, but the Lord is able to take every single factor in my life and make it for His good. Yes, failures and all. Just like the five minutes I watched of this show. God took those five minutes to open my eyes to a place where I could examine my own life. My own life! I don't need to examine the lives of every person I come in contact with. What I do need to do is show the same grace and mercy that the Lord shows me daily. It's through my real life that this world will see Jesus. Not through a fake window. Not through a girl who claims, "I'm not like that" and "How could she?" attitude. It's when we are real. It's when we let down our guard. It's when we come to a place of humility that the world sees a God of hope. They see a God who will love them no matter their past. They see a God who sees past the failure and chooses to take that ash and turn it into beauty.

So, as in this episode I found it an odd place for the Bible. It just didn't fit. I mean, where was the evidence it was even there? If Rachel hadn't grabbed it I would have never realized there was one in their home. Does this hit home for you? It does me. I want God's Word to be evident in my life.

"Let no one despise your youth; instead, you should be an example to the believer in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." 1 Timothy 4:12

"In the same way, encourage the young men to be self-controlled in everything. Make yourself an example of good works with integrity and dignity in your teaching. Your message is to be sound beyond reproach, so that the opponent will be ashamed, having nothing bad to say about us." Titus 2:6-8

"For the grace of God has appeared with salvation for all people, instructing us to deny godlessness and worldly lusts and to live in a sensible, righteous, and godly way in the present age, while we wait for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." Titus 2:11-13

"Therefore, be imitators of God, as dearly loved children." Ephesians 5:1

With all this said, I am not to look at others in a pious and self righteous way. But if not for the grace of God there go I. I am a sinner saved by grace. That is what I am to show the world I live in. I am not better than any other person. We are all on level ground at the foot of the cross. I am however to be the example God is calling me to be. That means examining my life, my actions, words, and deeds on a daily basis. I do not want to be a stumbling block for others, but an example as to what the grace of God can do for a girl who desires to walk with a heart like Christ.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...