Monday, September 17, 2012

The Girl In The Glass by Susan Meissner

Every since I can remember I have always wanted to spend a summer in Tuscany. I think I may have just spent one of the most memorable weekends visiting a place my feet may never set ground on, but,  my heart has traveled there, and that just may be even more special. This novel was more than spectacular. It was magical. It took me on a journey I wasn't expecting and that is what makes for a great novel. Meissner writes a story within a story. Simply amazing!

I am a huge fan of Susan Meissner. She stole my heart in, "The Shape of Mercy" and "A Sound Among The Trees". This novel, is hands down, one of the best books I have read...ever. She has the gift to take us to a place we never expected to see and once there, she fills us with a beauty more splendid that our eyes can envision. She captivates us with chapter, bringing us closer and closer to seeing past just what appears and what lies beyond the horizon. She takes words like, Renaissance and gives them new meaning for the heart.

I love the cover and the title, but it's what is between the pages that takes us on a journey to Florence, Italy. The characters are so rich and vibrant. Such lessons of great value to take away. Nonna and Nora, were favorites of mine. The stories made me feel as though I was seeing the beauty of a life in Florence first hand. You know, this may be even more beautiful than seeing it in person. To read such love of a country and all it holds from another only makes it appear in it's purest form.

I walked away from this novel feeling as though I now had a new love for a place I have never visited, but have always dreamed of seeing. I feel as though I walked the streets with Mellie and Sofia. I could taste the coffee and feel the cool breeze on the balcony.

I think we all need a Lorenzo in our lives. A Gabe too. This story takes us on a journey between a daughter wanting to spend a summer with her father and what the Lord has designed for her instead. Her heart was opened in a new way and Florence for her, was a life lesson, that only brought her closer to who the real girl in the mirror is and that is what our Lord wants for us, to become who He has created us to be.

This is a beautifully penned novel. One that deserves an award. I was sad when I closed the last page. I already wanted to go back.

This book was a gift from WaterBrook Multnomah for its review.

Susan Meissner is an award-winning author whose books include The Shape of Mercy, Lady in Waiting, and A Sound Among the Trees. She is the wife of an Air Force chaplain and a mother of four young adults. When she’s not writing, Susan directs the Small Groups and Connection Ministries program at her San Diego church.

AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...