Thursday, June 28, 2012

Learning The Gas Pedal From The Brake Pedal

When I first began driving I had a lead foot. I loved to go fast. Now, the brake was another story all together. Although pressing on the gas to go was easy, pressing that break caused some problems. I wouldn't begin breaking until I was almost past that stop sign. My stops were urgent and quick. Well, I didn't snap anyone's neck, but you get the picture.

Today, I drive a with a stick. My driving skills have improved. I am a slower paced driver now and my stops are gentle. Now, it's removing that road rage that invites itself in as my passenger.

Our journey down the highway of life isn't much different. I often look at my kids and wonder why they can't get it. Well, they aren't forty-five as I am. Learning and wisdom come with time. We are on a journey. Some of us take each day as a Sunday drive. Others, seem to be on the race track in Indy. The key is finding balance. When I learned to drive a stick, well, lets just say, it took a while. Yes, that's a nice way to put it. I would get frustrated when I couldn't balance the clutch and the gas. If I'm honest, I still have days where I'm out of gear and what happens? I kill it. Gotta look around, start it back up and smile. Knowing next time and there will be a next time, I will learn not to be so hard on myself.

Some of us need to move over in the slow lane for a while. Ever get stuck behind a tractor or a slow moving vehicle? Oh, we moan and groan. We try to get around them, but cars just keep coming. It seems that as we are moving slow, those around us are just moving right along. These are times when the Lord is gently trying to grab our attention and He is saying, "Oh daughter of Mine, could you slow down a bit. You are missing so very much I have created just for you".

Now, back to that road rage. As we are learning balance in life, Satan is going to be there every step of the way begging for our attention and he will use whatever he can to distract us. As we learn the lessons of life, we too must learn his voice and be mindful of the tempation he sets before us. Talk about a speed trap. We gotta make sure we read the road signs.

We love to talk about other drivers and complain about their skills, but are they really any different from us? We are all just trying to move forward. We are trying to reach our destination. We have different ideas of how to get there. We break down. We need gas. We need air. It just might be time for us to pull inot the station for some much needed overhaul. We must keep our eyes on the gages before us and know how to read them.

Have you gotten lost lately? God has a GPS, and He's asking, "Hey, are ya going my way?" If we follow His direction, we won't be wondering if we should turn around at the next stop.



"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5-6


AddToAny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...